Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » General Meeru Discussion » Booking advice please
Booking advice please 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:03 pm Reply with quote
DT150161
Hi all
We didn't get to Meeru on our first attempt in Jan 2005 due to the tsumani but are planning a trip next year (oct 2018) for our 10th anniversary. Am looking at a water villa with flights out of London, but could use some help with who to book through. I appreciate it is too early to book scheduled flights for that time, but who are people booking through these days from the UK now that there are no direct flights ( other than BA in the peak season) Are Emirates Holidays competitive, we used Kuoni the last two times we travelled to the Maldives but they seem very expensive now. Would you advise we book as soon as flights are available or hold off until nearer the time, bearing in mind we really want the water villa???
Many thanks for any advice or tips you can give us, just so you know our budget is 6000 tops for around 12- 13 nights all inclusive including flights and transfers
Regards
Dawn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:32 pm Reply with quote
esseepee
Hi, the trick is to hold your nerve until the travel companies have offers on. We booked for this October through travelbag who are usually well priced, 2 months later we got notice from Travelzoo that emirates holidays had an offer that included free all inclusive and transfers which would save us 1200. So we cancelled the original holiday lost 400 deposit but still saved 800. Holiday is for 2 people 2 weeks all inclusive in a Beach Villa costing 4100. Next time we will wait for offers and not rush to book early.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:13 pm Reply with quote
DT150161
Ok thanks for that, I thought that may be the case - i am subscribed to travelzoo so have already used them in the past. Was there an option for other accommodation when you booked or was it just the beach villas. When did you originally book and when was the travelzoo/emirates offer? The problem with me is I like to have all things arranged asap and I know that we could probably get a better deal if I just held off a while, but I jump right in as soon as I see what I want. I need to learn some self control...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:33 pm Reply with quote
JillyBean
We usually book with Travelbag as find them a lot cheaper but used the Travelzoo offer on 21/2 and booked with Emirates from Heathrow into Dubai and then onto Male. Saved ourselves quite a bit. Going in a water villa as usual and one night longer too and still 480 cheaper than last year

Jilly 😃

[/url]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:12 pm Reply with quote
DT150161
When are are you travelling? ideally I need to get some idea of how long I should wait for the "offers" to come in? I don't want to lose the opportunity of booking a water villa bearing in mind there are only 20 something of them, however I don't want to find out that I could have booked the same holiday 100s cheaper if I had waited. 1st world problems eh?....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:29 am Reply with quote
Ian & Jo
This also will depend on when you are travelling in October if it coincides with the school holidays there are unlikely to be any offers and room types book up quickly. as we are stuck to school holiday dates we tend to book as early as we can as we have found that as the UAE has a large business commuter customer the flights just get more expensive the later you leave it. but this could be because we are very restricted to dates due to Jo's Job. the flights we are on are always full.

For us generally we have found Travelbag the most competitive and Hayes and Jarvis sometimes beat them but not often. Emirates holidays have always been more and as for Kuoni, well budget 2K more than the others.

It's always a gamble as everything is priced in dollars so even without a deal prices could drop tomorrow, Once I'm booked and I have the flights and accommodation I want for I price I'm prepared to pay I don't go back and check.

Ian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:43 pm Reply with quote
DT150161
We would be travelling the first two weeks in October so avoiding school hols. I think you are right though, as we specifically want a water villa it may be best to book as soon the flights are released if I am happy with the price.
Thanks for your input
Dawn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Shanksy
If you are looking at October take a note out of our book and note that this is July and there is nothing suitable now for October this year due to those pesky schoolkids (and teachers Laughing Laughing Laughing )

It's a tricky one everyone wants to get the best deal but "best" has several meanings!

Meeru; October 2007, February 2015, May 2016, October 2017???

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:57 am Reply with quote
bushbaby_de
Some of the package companies will actually let you book before flights are released and then will reconfirm with you upon release. We booked a sandals holiday 13 months in advance. They know what price they get the bulk airline seats for so knew the price, just not the exact flight times. We booked to lock in the room and rate we wanted, then finalised dates when the flights came out.

[/url]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Janster
Hi,

I am now a personal Travel Consultant for Hays Travel so please feel free to contact me if you would like a quote.

I'm not here just to sell, I am a genuine Meeru lover, but I'd be mad to recommend someone else when I can book your holiday.

I would definitely recommend booking early for October as prices were really good in April but have gone silly since.

Feel free to send me a personal message.

Jan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:29 pm Reply with quote
DT150161
Hi Jan

I have sent you a pm (at least I think I have)

Dawn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Janster
Hi Dawn,

I replied to you. Have you. It received it?

Jan x

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Janster
I've just sent it again Dawn but it doesn't look like it's going into my sent box for some reason.

Do you want to just drop me a quick email and I can reply to that. You don't need to send all the details again, just a hi so I have your email address and can reply to you.

jan.gledhill@hays-travel.co.uk

Jan x
Booking advice please 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » General Meeru Discussion