Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » General Meeru Discussion » Prescription drugs and Dubai Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
Prescription drugs and Dubai 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Brucebear
Joined: 22 Jan 2014
Posts: 195
Hi

For the first time we are going to fly Emirates via Dubai and we are concerned at the rules on prescription drugs through Dubai. My wife needs a low dose of diazepam to get through the flights and it appears this is banned in Dubai. We have emailed Dubai customs direct but no reply at all. Does anyone else have experience of takeing prescribed drugs like this through. The last thing we need is a spell in a darker room. Instead of two weeks of much needed bliss on Meeru. Any help would be grateful normally we fly direct with BA so it has never been an issue.

Regards
Bruce

_________________
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Humble Jim
Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 6183
Location: Leeds, UK
In the case of Diazepam then you should make sure that you carry with you - along with the actual medication - the prescription itself (thus proving who it is for). It is also a must in the case of this drug IMO that you also take with you a letter from your Doctor describing why the medicine is required and has been issued to the (named) recipient.

You are also best advised to take all personal medication in your hand luggage going through Dubai - given what it's for in your particular situation then that will already be happening. Finally, do carry the pills in their original packaging.

In truth the odds are that you will not need to produce any prescription slips/doc's letter but if you need to answer any questions around medicine you're carrying then you may be required to justify that it's for bona fide reasons. In which case out comes the paperwork...

We have often transited through Dubai with assorted prescription medicine (inc. liquid ones), and we've always carried them in hand luggage.

We'll be doing the same this October and be taking a doctor's letter plus copies of all our prescriptions.

Thus far we've never been stopped/queried about any of our pills and potions when transiting through Dubai or any other Gulf state but come the day we are then we can politely describe who it's for and show that a UK medical authority issued it for valid reasons.

Hope this assists

HJ
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Polly & adrian
Joined: 01 Jul 2007
Posts: 68
Location: Stonehouse Glos
Take all boxes and instructions + GPs letter if possible with you, keep letter with you. Look on UAE travel tourist drug web site list it covers all items of controlled drugs they are looking at, this includes childs TIXYLIX cough medicine. They list 374 items of interest, some have different names than that found in the UK but show some of the contents found within.

Please read through the whole document as it explains more in detail with tourists passing through the UAE carrying some controlled items.

Regards Polly. as at 2013
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Brucebear
Joined: 22 Jan 2014
Posts: 195
HJ

Thanks for the advice the wife has booked with the doctor to get a letter as we thought that would be a good starting point. It was only because we started reading through the Dubai rules and thought we should cover the risk off. It would be just our luck to be held at Dubai and not get the well deserved time on Meeru.

It would be a rough time for the good lady without taking he edge off the flight as flying has become horrible it strange as she use to live the flight the most.

_________________
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Brucebear
Joined: 22 Jan 2014
Posts: 195
Polly

Thanks for your reply it was by reading the list we saw that we may have an issue

Thank you

_________________
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:46 pm Reply with quote
soobs
Joined: 31 Oct 2004
Posts: 737
Location: Cheshire
Gosh I never knew that I had 6 Diazepam in my hand luggage going both ways through Dubai airport in June I didn't need to use them as they were good flights and very considerate people in front of us on all flights that didn't decline their seats all the way which helps to stop you feeling enclosed in.

_________________
[url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Shanksy
Joined: 28 Jun 2007
Posts: 1411
Location: GLASGOW
soobs wrote:
Gosh I never knew that I had 6 Diazepam in my hand luggage going both ways through Dubai airport in June I didn't need to use them as they were good flights and very considerate people in front of us on all flights that didn't decline their seats all the way which helps to stop you feeling enclosed in.


6 Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes I'd taken them before I even got on the plane....

_________________
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]


Meeru; October 2007, February 2015, May 2016, October 2017???
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:54 am Reply with quote
bushbaby_de
Joined: 14 May 2008
Posts: 253
Location: Worcestershire, UK
If you are just transiting through Dubai airport you are not actually entering the UAE and therefore do not need to comply with their banned medications list.

_________________
[url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Casey Jones
Joined: 30 May 2008
Posts: 1456
Location: Cumbria
bushbaby_de wrote:
If you are just transiting through Dubai airport you are not actually entering the UAE and therefore do not need to comply with their banned medications list.


WOW!...that's a bit of a reckless quote.

Please take on board the quality advice from Humble Jim & Polly & Adrian.
Emirates advice HERE

Unauthorized Meds HERE

Casey Cool

_________________
Meeru 08/09, Kuramathi 2010, Vilamendhoo 2011, Maafushivaru 2013,
Kandolhu 2014, Seychelles 2016, Mauritius 2017
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:12 pm Reply with quote
bushbaby_de
Joined: 14 May 2008
Posts: 253
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Casey Jones wrote:
bushbaby_de wrote:
If you are just transiting through Dubai airport you are not actually entering the UAE and therefore do not need to comply with their banned medications list.


WOW!...that's a bit of a reckless quote.

Please take on board the quality advice from Humble Jim & Polly & Adrian.
Emirates advice HERE

Unauthorized Meds HERE

Casey Cool


No it's a factually accurate quote. All the legislation is about what's not allowed in the UAE. If you are just transiting through Dubai airport you are not in the UAE. You are only in the UAE if you pass through immigration to enter the country.

_________________
[url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Casey Jones
Joined: 30 May 2008
Posts: 1456
Location: Cumbria
bushbaby_de wrote:
Casey Jones wrote:
bushbaby_de wrote:
If you are just transiting through Dubai airport you are not actually entering the UAE and therefore do not need to comply with their banned medications list.


WOW!...that's a bit of a reckless quote.

Please take on board the quality advice from Humble Jim & Polly & Adrian.
Emirates advice HERE

Unauthorized Meds HERE



Casey Cool


No it's a factually accurate quote. All the legislation is about what's not allowed in the UAE. If you are just transiting through Dubai airport you are not in the UAE. You are only in the UAE if you pass through immigration to enter the country.


No sorry. The guidelines are quite clear regarding transiting through Dubai.
They operate a controlled system with highly efficient scanning security. Many people pass through UAE with personal prescriptions / medication with no trouble whatsoever as long as you follow the correct advice as stated by HJ. This includes Codeine, Diazepam amongst others on the list and enough as per the official document below.

Personally I would not like to try and explain why I am carrying such items in a foreign airport with limited English and carrying no official medical documentation to back up my answers. You really would be asking for trouble.

The Official Document is HERE Page 2 to clarify.

Casey Cool

_________________
Meeru 08/09, Kuramathi 2010, Vilamendhoo 2011, Maafushivaru 2013,
Kandolhu 2014, Seychelles 2016, Mauritius 2017
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:47 pm Reply with quote
bushbaby_de
Joined: 14 May 2008
Posts: 253
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Casey Jones wrote:
bushbaby_de wrote:
Casey Jones wrote:
bushbaby_de wrote:
If you are just transiting through Dubai airport you are not actually entering the UAE and therefore do not need to comply with their banned medications list.


WOW!...that's a bit of a reckless quote.

Please take on board the quality advice from Humble Jim & Polly & Adrian.
Emirates advice HERE

Unauthorized Meds HERE



Casey Cool


No it's a factually accurate quote. All the legislation is about what's not allowed in the UAE. If you are just transiting through Dubai airport you are not in the UAE. You are only in the UAE if you pass through immigration to enter the country.


No sorry. The guidelines are quite clear regarding transiting through Dubai.
They operate a controlled system with highly efficient scanning security. Many people pass through UAE with personal prescriptions / medication with no trouble whatsoever as long as you follow the correct advice as stated by HJ. This includes Codeine, Diazepam amongst others on the list and enough as per the official document below.

Personally I would not like to try and explain why I am carrying such items in a foreign airport with limited English and carrying no official medical documentation to back up my answers. You really would be asking for trouble.

The Official Document is HERE Page 2 to clarify.

Casey Cool


I never said not to follow the advice. But just pointing out that unless you leave the airport it won't actually be an issue.

_________________
[url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Casey Jones
Joined: 30 May 2008
Posts: 1456
Location: Cumbria
bushbaby_de wrote:
Casey Jones wrote:
bushbaby_de wrote:
Casey Jones wrote:
bushbaby_de wrote:
If you are just transiting through Dubai airport you are not actually entering the UAE and therefore do not need to comply with their banned medications list.


WOW!...that's a bit of a reckless quote.

Please take on board the quality advice from Humble Jim & Polly & Adrian.
Emirates advice HERE

Unauthorized Meds HERE



Casey Cool


No it's a factually accurate quote. All the legislation is about what's not allowed in the UAE. If you are just transiting through Dubai airport you are not in the UAE. You are only in the UAE if you pass through immigration to enter the country.


No sorry. The guidelines are quite clear regarding transiting through Dubai.
They operate a controlled system with highly efficient scanning security. Many people pass through UAE with personal prescriptions / medication with no trouble whatsoever as long as you follow the correct advice as stated by HJ. This includes Codeine, Diazepam amongst others on the list and enough as per the official document below.

Personally I would not like to try and explain why I am carrying such items in a foreign airport with limited English and carrying no official medical documentation to back up my answers. You really would be asking for trouble.

The Official Document is HERE Page 2 to clarify.

Casey Cool


I never said not to follow the advice. But just pointing out that unless you leave the airport it won't actually be an issue.


But it would be an issue even without leaving the airport if you were stopped at next security and pulled and you could not prove or show evidence of personal issue regarding the medications on the list. The documentation I posted is quite clear when in transit.

Casey Cool

_________________
Meeru 08/09, Kuramathi 2010, Vilamendhoo 2011, Maafushivaru 2013,
Kandolhu 2014, Seychelles 2016, Mauritius 2017
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Brucebear
Joined: 22 Jan 2014
Posts: 195
Hi all

Just an update we have spoken to the embassy and they gave the following advice;
As we are in transit we can carry the diazepam as long as we have the following the drugs must be the labeled box with the name of the person clearly on them. A copy of the prescription along with a letter from the Doctor. They also advised that my wife only takes enough pills for the four flights and no spares..
They said if we then get stopped we can show the above evidence and there should be no delay in our transfer to Male or the return trip. Out of intrest we also called Emirates who although helpful could not really assist and kind of side shuffled from it. We have said that for the next trip we will try and fly as we normal do with BA direct to Male although the overall cost overall for Meeru is currently putting Meeru on hold for another booking. Still only 22 days to go for this trip.

Bruce & Karen

_________________
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:59 pm Reply with quote
bushbaby_de
Joined: 14 May 2008
Posts: 253
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Brucebear wrote:
Hi all

Just an update we have spoken to the embassy and they gave the following advice;
As we are in transit we can carry the diazepam as long as we have the following the drugs must be the labeled box with the name of the person clearly on them. A copy of the prescription along with a letter from the Doctor. They also advised that my wife only takes enough pills for the four flights and no spares..
They said if we then get stopped we can show the above evidence and there should be no delay in our transfer to Male or the return trip. Out of intrest we also called Emirates who although helpful could not really assist and kind of side shuffled from it. We have said that for the next trip we will try and fly as we normal do with BA direct to Male although the overall cost overall for Meeru is currently putting Meeru on hold for another booking. Still only 22 days to go for this trip.

Bruce & Karen


Hope you have an amazing time. It would be interesting to hear what you think of Emirates vs BA to Male if you don't mind reporting when you get back. We've only ever done Emirates for this route but usually fly BA everywhere else.

_________________
[url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]
View user's profile Send private message
Prescription drugs and Dubai 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » General Meeru Discussion
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT  
Page 1 of 2  
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  


Powered by phpBB© 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin