Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » General Meeru Discussion » Speedboat transfers
Speedboat transfers 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:01 am Reply with quote
walkerclan
Hi to all Meeru lovers! Some help please!
I last posted on this forum way back in July 2008 following a trip to Meeru. We were unlucky in that we arrived in Male to poor weather and rough seas. Our boat was only big enough for about 10 people and our crossing to Meeru can only be described as one and half hours of sheer terror! At one point with the boat taking on water we almost lost our luggage! At the time I thought we should have had a bigger boat. Anyway our time on Meeru was spoiled due to my wife being terrified of the return trip. However we had a much bigger boat with about 50 people on board so it was no problem.
Since then I have dreamed of returning to Meeru one day, but my wife is terribly reluctant to go any where near due to our previous experience with the boat! I am thinking about a trip April/May time next year, would sea's be perhaps calmer that time of year? Can anybody with recent experience advise on their transfers, ie. size of boats being used nowadays and how it went for them. Any advice or comments to help allay my wife's fears would be much appreciated! Otherwise I fear I may never see Meeru again! Thank you all.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Humble Jim
Welcome back,walkerclan!

Meeru has a fleet of transfer boats, probably about half a dozen of them I think. Most are large and twin hulled - good for stability. Which one you'll find yourself on for any given transfer depends on a bunch of factors including just how many guests are being transferred on inbound or outbound legs to / from the airport.

We ourselves have been on all of them over the years.

It's impossible to predict sea conditions in advance, at best all you can say is that the odds of better conditions occur during high season, i.e Dec through to about end of April but of course high winds and / or thunderstorms can occur anytime. They can come and go in the space of an hour or so, sometimes less, but if you are at sea when they happen you'll know about it.

If it's any solace we have only had one really poor crossing over dozens we have done at many different times of year. I have heard of just a couple of other instances including yours. Our particular fear (unrealised as it turned out) was that our incoming plane home would be diverted to Sri Lanka to wait out the storm. We were on a larger boat so never felt that us or our belongings were in watery danger.

I can't say that what you experienced can never possibly recur but bear in mind two things.

First that the vast majority of guests are transferred on large boats and secondly that seriously bad crossing weather is demonstrably rare.

For a small risk we always consider the reward to be more than worth it always Cool .

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Shanksy
Our first trip to Meeru involved the boat trip from hell. The boat boys spent the longest hour of my life laughing at me and I'm fairly certain I passed out. However I made it there in one piece and I made it home again. That boat was fairly small I don't remember many people on it. I've been twice since then and whilst it's not something I particular look forward to it is the only way I'll get to my beautiful Meeru. Loads of people on here have been time and time again and whilst I know there has been some pretty poor weather at times, there's never been any incidents. I think you would have to be pretty unlucky to have another nasty journey like your first one!

Meeru; October 2007, February 2015, May 2016, October 2017???
Speedboat transfers 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » General Meeru Discussion