Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » General Meeru Discussion » Only taken 11 years but we've just booked our first trip!
Only taken 11 years but we've just booked our first trip! 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:17 am Reply with quote
daver555
On August 2nd 2005 I posted on here about planning our first trip to Meeru! Well, its taken until now but yesterday we booked our Feb 2018 holiday to Meeru with Hayes & Jarvis. Since then we got married in 2006, general life and major house things took precedence including Egypt twice and Crete. Although those places were lovely they weren't idylic and we kept coming back here and watching all the Youtube videos and dreaming that one day we would go. So, here we are looking forward to 14/02/18 and still watching all the videos we can on Youtube. We managed to stretch to a Jacuzzi Water Villa AI and the anticipation/excitement is building fast! We're flying direct with BA so no stop-overs which will be nice.

Now that the intro is over I was wondering if any of you could give us any advice or tips for our first visit? What side of the island is best? What number range JWV's to request if we get the opportunity? Looking forward to soaking up as much information as we can between now and Feb! Thanks in advance and for reading my waffle, Dave&Anna.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:34 am Reply with quote
karyn
Hi Dave and Anna

Congratulations on booking your first trip! You won't be disappointed. Everyone has their own preference on which part of the island they like, so as a first-timer I would recommend you just go with the flow - you're guaranteed to enjoy it wherever you are on the island and nothing is too far from anything anyway Very Happy

We've never stayed in a JWV - we love the Water Villas (500's) and have also stayed in a JBV (600's) but have opted for a BV next time. We'd stay in a cardboard box if it meant we could be on Meeru! Laughing

We'll be on Meeru at the same time as you - we enjoyed our 'once in a lifetime' holiday there in February 2012 but like most, we're addicted and will be enjoying our 5th visit in Feb 2018!

One tip for Anna - don't bring lots of shoes and definitely no heels. Some people spend their whole holiday with nothing on their feet. I like to wear a pair of flip flops as some of the coral particles can be a bit sharp underfoot.

Depending on what time of the day you arrive, you might not be able to check into your room straight away (I think check-in is usually around 1pm). We usually arrive during the morning, so we always pack some beachwear, a cover-up and some sun lotion in our hand-luggage so we can get changed as soon as we arrive and get straight into the holiday. sunny

You won't need travel adapters as the sockets are UK style.

I'm sure there'll be more people along with plenty of other hints and tips for you. If there's anything specific, just ask away - I know I did when we booked our first trip!

Not long to wait - enjoy the build-up!

Best wishes

Karyn

[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:48 am Reply with quote
daver555
Hi Karyn,

Thanks for the quick response. Yep, I'm sure we'll be happy with any of the villas I just recall their being a few with dated jacuzzis from other posts/trip reports. We would love to get a villa for evening sunsets, that sounds perfect. Thanks for all your advice and tips, no probs re shoes as Anna is flats only type of girl! Great news re plugs/sockets. Do you know what the dress-code is in the restaurants of an evening? Egypt and Crete were very strict and didn't allow shorts even when the temps were creeping towards the 40's which made it very uncomfortable for us chaps!!!

Thanks again, Dave&Anna

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Shanksy
I agree with everything Karyn says - I once saw someone wearing heels in the restaurant for breakfast - no idea where she'd been the night before Rolling Eyes

Have a fabulous time!

Meeru; October 2007, February 2015, May 2016, October 2017???

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:41 pm Reply with quote
karyn
daver555 wrote:
We would love to get a villa for evening sunsets, that sounds perfect. Do you know what the dress-code is in the restaurants of an evening? Egypt and Crete were very strict and didn't allow shorts even when the temps were creeping towards the 40's which made it very uncomfortable for us chaps!!!

I'm sure someone will be along to let you know which are the sunset JWVs.

The dress code isn't bad at all - shorts are absolutely fine in any of the restaurants during the evening. My husband wears shorts and a short-sleeved shirt during the evening (and no shoes!) Beachwear isn't allowed in the restaurants during the evening. Having said that, we often go to The Asian Wok for a sunset drink and we're still in our beachwear then. We're usually gone before the evening diners arrive though. During the daytime, men are asked to wear a t-shirt/top in the dining areas and ladies can wear a beach cover-up/kaftan over their bikini.

[/url]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:18 am Reply with quote
Humble Jim
daver555 wrote:
...We would love to get a villa for evening sunsets, that sounds perfect...

Even numbered 700s face towards sunset, odd numbered ones get the sunrise. We've stayed in both varieties in the past and TBH both are superb.

Worth repeating at this point that any request will be just that, a request. There's huge evidence from this forum and other places that Meeru will do their level best to satisfy such requests but there can be no guarantee they will be able to.

It's a very popular island and if room occupancy conditions at the point of your arrival don't permit it you may not get what you asked for. It follows from the preceding that slightly "fuzzier" room related requests are more likely to succeed than, for example, a precise room number request.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:34 am Reply with quote
daver555
Thanks for the reply Humble Jim, and fully understand that it would be a request. I'm sure that no matter what JWV we get we will be over the moon with but the thought of evenings spent watching the sun go down with a glass of something cold would be perfection for us!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:17 am Reply with quote
Humble Jim
Just remember, never abandon a sunset just when the sun disappears - so often people miss the best skies by doing that.

The very best, often jaw dropping, colour displays in the sky can manifest a full half hour or more after the Sun's disk has disappeared over the horizon. And don't just look West as often there are peachy vistas way to the East too Cool.
Only taken 11 years but we've just booked our first trip! 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » General Meeru Discussion