Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » General Meeru Discussion » First Timers - April Visit - JWV questions
First Timers - April Visit - JWV questions 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:26 am Reply with quote
Momo
Hi All,

Been reading through the forum for the past week and the sheer volume of information and experiences on here is amazing! My wife and I will be visiting for the first time in April and are really excited! I do have some questions though if anyone wouldn’t mind answering?

We have booked a JWV and have requested to stay in the North side of the island. We were wondering about the partially open air bathroom, is there a door between the sitting area/jacuzzi area round back and the actual bathroom? If not, are mosquitos etc. an issue?

Due to all the press around the world regarding mosquitos and the diseases they carry, it’s just a worry. However, we may just be overthinking things!

Thank you in advance,

Mo
Re: First Timers - April Visit - JWV questions 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:13 am Reply with quote
Shanksy
Momo wrote:
Hi All,

Been reading through the forum for the past week and the sheer volume of information and experiences on here is amazing! My wife and I will be visiting for the first time in April and are really excited! I do have some questions though if anyone wouldn’t mind answering?

We have booked a JWV and have requested to stay in the North side of the island. We were wondering about the partially open air bathroom, is there a door between the sitting area/jacuzzi area round back and the actual bathroom? If not, are mosquitos etc. an issue?

Due to all the press around the world regarding mosquitos and the diseases they carry, it’s just a worry. However, we may just be overthinking things!

Thank you in advance,

Mo

Can't comment on the doors etc but reckon there would be one....however the sandflies and mosquitoes there are the "normal" ones and don't carry other crazy diseases I was bitten quite badly on my last trip but it hasn't stopped me from booking to go back in September this year best thing u can do is make sure your inoculations are up-to-date take some insect repellent and me I personally will be taking antihistamines with me had to visit the doctor last time due to the bites and whilst only doing his job it was an expense I could have saved myself ....have a fantastic time Wink

[/url]

Meeru; October 2007, February 2015, May 2016, September 2018
Re: First Timers - April Visit - JWV questions 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:35 am Reply with quote
Momo
Shanksy wrote:
Momo wrote:
Hi All,

Thank you in advance,

Mo

Can't comment on the doors etc but reckon there would be one....however the sandflies and mosquitoes there are the "normal" ones and don't carry other crazy diseases I was bitten quite badly on my last trip but it hasn't stopped me from booking to go back in September this year best thing u can do is make sure your inoculations are up-to-date take some insect repellent and me I personally will be taking antihistamines with me had to visit the doctor last time due to the bites and whilst only doing his job it was an expense I could have saved myself ....have a fantastic time Wink

Thanks Shanksy, a fellow Glaswegian!

We intend to take repellent and antihistamines, thank you for the heads up. I see Zika isn't mentioned much on these forums?

Regarding the doors, we've seen photos that show some indications of sliding glass doors and other pictures which show no doors!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Shanksy
Didn't even realise u were from Glasgow Wink

Our native bugs are much worse trust me! From memory there's been one instance of zika in the Maldives and it was someone who had travelled from elsewhere

I've been using this forum for over 10 years there's a real friendly patient bunch of people on here some if the stupid questions I've asked over the years someone's always had an answer......

[/url]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Brucebear
Hi Momo

We have been 7 times and each time we have JBV the shower / bathroom have never had any doors but I can honesty say that we have never been bitten by the mozzies.
Due the high walls privacy has been ever been an issue.

Have a great time in April.

Bruce

[/url]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:21 pm Reply with quote
soobs
the only doors we have seen on a shower are in the 700's where the shower is more inside than out and different than the other rooms

Now while the mozzie's are coming up in conversation I also get bitten rather badly even though I take care and use a combination of protections before and during the holiday and yes a few trips to the doc and antibiotics on one occasion. For me it's not just the being bitten it's the fact that some bites usually on my legs go a real mess elsewhere they tend to clear up after a few days where as some take weeks to clear up properly and leave scars.

my question is this there must be something that stops bites going bad on i'm a celebrity get me out of here you didn't see them with bad bites!!!

I think I need to be dipped in protection on the hour every hour

[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:19 pm Reply with quote
shazza86uk
Hi,

My and my hubby stayed in a JWV (north end) for our honeymoon in 2013. Our bathroom was fully indoors with a glass sliding door to the Jacuzzi and decking area at the back of the villa.

This was a few years ago but I can't remember being bitten even once and I am notorious for attracting mosquitos so I was pleasantly surprised! We were there in November - I'm not sure if this has an influence on the amount of mozzies around

Have a great trip, we are hoping to return for our second visit later this year for our 5th anniversary. It's been a long wait and we are getting excited already!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Humble Jim
As regards JWVs you'll possibly be aware that there are two room number JWV ranges.

The 700s, which run North from the northern tip of the island, and the 300s which run roughly East from the beach at about the middle point of the island on it's right hand edge.

I have to state right off that although we've stayed in the 700s before now we've not been in the 300s. I know a bit about the 300s but not from first hand knowledge.

The 700s have bathrooms that have a fully sliding door between them and the (outside) jacuzzi from which you can gaze at the ocean from.

The 300s are more enclosed in respect of the Jacuzzis. You can't see the ocean from the jacuzzi in the 300's as walls surround them which are quite high. More private than the 700s but the trade is an ocean view, as I say.

Now I'm not 100% sure about this, although I believe I'm correct, but I understand that the bathrooms in the 300s are outside atmosphere type. Covered, yes, but no sliding door between them and the jacuzzi.

In respect of mosquitoes, yes, I'd say you are overthinking it! But read on...

One of the big pluses of the JWVs is that they are over water. No mozzies venture out there - they always stay away from anything like a breeze.

And if you have any concerns about getting bitten, be aware that Meeru regularly "fog" the vegetation on the island against biting insects.

This doesn't entirely remove the odds of getting any bites but it keeps the problem to acceptable levels or better. Sometimes there are small mozzie population bursts (can happen 10 days or so after a particularly rainy spell say) but Meeru soon jump in when this happens.

Most guests collect a bite or two during their stay (might be from a mozzie or maybe a sand fly) but some get none.

Avoid sitting / lying very close to low growing vegetation and sit in or as near to a breeze as you can and you'll be far less likely to be targeted.

You can also hugely help your own cause when wandering about the island by using skin applied repellent.

We take the following product with us always:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Smidge-Midge-Insect-Repellent-75/dp/B00413715E/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1517216938&sr=8-1&keywords=smidge+the+midge

After trying many other alternatives, we've found this to be highly effective against mozzies + sand flies. Unlike some other products we've tried this also smells neutral / nice. But I do recommend it for effectiveness above all. Water and sweat resistant too!.

How much to get? We aim to buy a bottle per person per week stayed on island. Usually leaves a bit over but you don't want to run out.

When using skin applied repellent always ensure good coveragel. Mozzies will find your missed spaces. So aside from applying to the exposed skin you can easily see or reach make sure you apply to the back of your legs / ankles or top of your feet as well as back of neck and ears.

Apologies for length of reply but hope this assists.

HJ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:56 am Reply with quote
Shanksy
Humble Jim wrote:
As regards JWVs you'll possibly be aware that there are two room number JWV ranges.

The 700s, which run North from the northern tip of the island, and the 300s which run roughly East from the beach at about the middle point of the island on it's right hand edge.

I have to state right off that although we've stayed in the 700s before now we've not been in the 300s. I know a bit about the 300s but not from first hand knowledge.

The 700s have bathrooms that have a fully sliding door between them and the (outside) jacuzzi from which you can gaze at the ocean from.

The 300s are more enclosed in respect of the Jacuzzis. You can't see the ocean from the jacuzzi in the 300's as walls surround them which are quite high. More private than the 700s but the trade is an ocean view, as I say.

Now I'm not 100% sure about this, although I believe I'm correct, but I understand that the bathrooms in the 300s are outside atmosphere type. Covered, yes, but no sliding door between them and the jacuzzi.

One of the big pluses of the JWVs is that they are over water. No mozzies venture out there - they always stay away from anything like a breeze.

And if you have any concerns about getting bitten, be aware that Meeru regularly "fog" the vegetation on the island against biting insects.

This doesn't entirely remove the odds of getting any bites but it keeps the problem to acceptable levels or better. Sometimes there are small mozzie population bursts (can happen 10 days or so after a particularly rainy spell say) but Meeru soon jump in when this happens.

Most guests collect a bite or two during their stay (might be from a mozzie or maybe a sand fly) but some get none.

Avoid sitting / lying very close to low growing vegetation and sit in or as near to a breeze as you can and you'll be far less likely to be targeted.

You can also hugely help your own cause when wandering about the island by using skin applied repellent.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Smidge-Midge-Insect-Repellent-75/dp/B00413715E/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1517216938&sr=8-1&keywords=smidge+the+midge

After trying many other alternatives, we've found this to be highly effective against mozzies + sand flies. Unlike some other products we've tried this also smells neutral / nice. But I do recommend it for effectiveness above all. Water and sweat resistant too!.

How much to get? We aim to buy a bottle per person per week stayed on island. Usually leaves a bit over but you don't want to run out.

When using skin applied repellent always ensure good coveragel. Mozzies will find your missed spaces. So aside from applying to the exposed skin you can easily see or reach make sure you apply to the back of your legs / ankles or top of your feet as well as back of neck and ears.

HJ

4 bottles added to my packing list for September.......

[/url]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:11 am Reply with quote
Momo
Humble Jim wrote:

HJ

Hi Humble Jim and all!

Apologies for the late reply, it has been a hectic couple of weeks! Thank you very much for the informative post! It puts my mind at ease. We'll definitely have repellent on anyhow, can never be too cautious!

My wife and I are really looking forward to it, not long to go.

A big thank you to everyone else also for their responses! It is very much appreciated.

Momo
First Timers - April Visit - JWV questions 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » General Meeru Discussion