Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » General Meeru Discussion » Meeru or Kuredu with children
Meeru or Kuredu with children 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:06 am Reply with quote
Tinabis
Hi everybody,
My family and I( 2 adults and 4 kids aged 17, 13, 10 and 3) are going to the Maldives for the first time this summer - yay, we are so excited Very Happy

I have done a lot of research and we have now narrowed it down to staying at either Meeru or Kuredu for 7 nights.

The price is almost the same, transfers and AI included for 2 garden rooms at Meeru/ 2 garden bungalows on Kuredu.

As far as I can see the advantages of Kuredu are the nice house reef with good snorkeling and many turtles + the scenic seaplane transfer.

Meeru has, it seems, a much nicer swimming pool + looks like a very beautiful island.

Has anybody on this forum been to Meeru or Kuredu with children lately and which Island did you prefer?

I read AlisonD s very good and detailed description of her trip to Kuredu with her family on this forum(cannot post the link since I am new on this forum, sorry)

She prefered Meeru and felt the service was not so good at Kuredu( + many mozzies) but that was 2009, perhaps things have changed since then?

Therefore I would love to hear your opinions on the following:

- Garden rooms Meeru/Kuredu:
I know, garden room/ bungalow is the most basic accomodation, but we are not planning to spend much time in the rooms. Having said that, I think the garden bungalows on Kuredu look really cute and newly refurbished with nice furniture and nice green colour theme.
I would really appreciate any comments on garden accomodation on both islands.

- Which island has the better “main area” where kids are allowed: Meeru with the farivalhu restaurant bar and lovely looking pool or Kuredu with the bonthi restaurant and main pool?

- Which AI plus package is the best? I heard many people raving about the iced coffee and cocktails on Meeru, is the iced coffee and cocktails as lovely on Kuredu?

- Snorkeling on Meeru: My 10 year old is too young to join the snorkeling boat trips. How is the snorkeling from the beach regarding marine life? Is everybody allowed to snorkel everywhere on the island? And what about currents?

- Beauty of the island: As mentioned, we have never been to The Maldives before and would really love to experience the best of The Maldives regarding beautiful beaches/scenery. I know if is a matter of personal preferences, but which island, in your opinion, is the most lovely( when staying in the garden rooms/ bungalows)?

Look forward to hearing from all the experienced Maldives-travellers and thank you for this excellent and informative forum Very Happy
Tina,
Bergen, Norway

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:32 pm Reply with quote
debandmark
Hello Tina,

We have only been to Meeru with our two children now aged 11 ans 15. We have been taking them for many years now and love it. I can't comment on Kuredo as we havn't been. We did meet a family at Christmas time who we met on Meeru last Christmas and they had been to Kuredo last summer. They enjoyed it but said that they preferred Meeru...they have been to meeru 9times I think.

I'm sure which ever island you choose will be great. We like to go back to Meeru because it's familiar to us and our children, it's a large island so there's lots to appeal for all ages. Children's playground for young ones, tennis, badminton, table tennis for those a bit older, teen games room, childrens game room, I could go on and on.

Not really sure that helps, but I don't think to can really make a wrong decision.

Deb

[/url]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Tinabis
Hello Deb,
Thank you very much for your very helpful answer, it is so nice to hear from somebody who has been to Meeru with children Smile Do your children snorkel and if so, where do they prefer to snorkel? Is there any marine life to look at when snorkeling from the beach?
Tina

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:12 am Reply with quote
Brucebear
Hi Tina
We have taken our 11 year old daughter 3 times and she loves Meeru more then any other holiday we have done. She snorkelled nearly every day we were on Meeru and has been to the house reef and to Kagi island. I am not sure kagi is still on offer as they are doing a lot of building work there. We have been out to the house reef quite a few times but Emily finds that is often too rough for her to enjoy the snorkelling. We tend to walk out to the far end of the 300 water villas and snorkel back. Ending up at the pavilion bar for a compulusary drink.
The coral reef nursery is well worth the snorkel and it will be interesting to return to see how the corals have grown. I would love to go for Christmas this year but I don’t think the bank account will allow this year. Emily always finds other children to meet up and play with and is always asking to go back. Especially when Mark and Debs are there with their children. I am sure your children will love Meeru and all it has to offer the staff are really great with the kids. I hope you enjoy no matter which island you choose.

All the best
Bruce & Karen

[/url]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Humble Jim
Probably also worth giving a mention here about Meeru's Komas Teen club (teens counting as aged 13-17) and the Komas Kids club (kids counting as aged 3-12 in this context).

The Teen club is open between 9am and 11pm every day. The Kids play room operates between 8am and 10pm (note that attending littlies need adult accompaniment).

The purpose built building for the above (which are hosted in two separate rooms) is a relatively recent addition by Meeru and contains up to date facilities for both groups.

The building is next to the Meeru Museum and Whale Skeleton display at a conveniently central point on the island.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:52 am Reply with quote
Tinabis
Thank you so much, your answers have been incredibly helpful. Will definitely check out the Teens and Kids climb Jim.
And it is great to hear that Meeru is your daughter’s favourite Bruce and Karen.

When looking at travellers photos on Tripadvisor my entire family has concluded that they prefer the beaches, the bars, the restaurants and ambience on Meeru to Kuredu. Everything looks absolutely beautiful Very Happy Very Happy

But I must admit I am a bit concerned that the west side of the island may not be as charming as we hope in the windy month of July. What to do if the water is too rough on the west side and you cannot enjoy the family pool because of wind? Bruce andKaren: are families allowed to swim on all beaches? Snorkel around the 300 and 700 villas? And are they welcome in all bars except the Uthuru?
Thank you all Very Happy

Tina

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:30 pm Reply with quote
debandmark
Hi Tina,

Children are allowed on all parts of the beach and all bars except the Uthuru.
We have been at all times of the year and it does get windy from May to October, but I have never known it to be too rough for swimming in the sea, we have been in July and August a few times.

It does sometimes get quite windy at the Dhoni bar, if you are staying on the east side of the island though there is no wind at all generally and the sea is like a pond. At this time of year, we usually stay in rooms 207 to 230, but any of the beach villas from 207 to 259 and the 400's have been fine in our experience.

We will be in Meeru in August, and although love the rooms 201-206, we will be requesting a room around the corner 207 to 230.

Lastly, if you like balcony life as we do, villa's on the east side are great as if it rains you can still sit on the balcony without getting wet, and there's generally no wind.

Hope this helps and you get booked up soon,

Deb

[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Tinabis
Thank you so much Deb, such a lot of useful information. I somehow had my heart set on the west side, because it looks so picturesque in the photos, but I guess the eastside is just as pretty and more important: calmer at that time of year. Does this mean that the west side is almost deserted in July? And not many people hanging out at the Dhoni Pool and bar? I just hope that it will be fine to stay there some of the days as my 10-year old has fallen in love with the pictures of the Dhoni pool at sunset and probably sees himself hanging out there a lot Cool
Meeru or Kuredu with children 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » General Meeru Discussion