Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » FAQ » Mosquitoes..... Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
Mosquitoes..... 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Alex & Andrea
Is it advisable to bring Mosquito Net, does Meeru supply any local anti mosquito sprays or coils? Question [/b]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:13 am Reply with quote
CJ
Hi Alex & Andrea ,

Meeru doesn't supply anything for the mosquitos, you can buy room spray and anti mosquito lotions in the gift shop though , I found the tiger balm that they sell in the gift shop was really effective if you do get bitten, its $5.00 and you can use it for all other ailments as well.

Hope that helps

CJ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:35 am Reply with quote
Alex & Andrea
Thanks for your timely response. Have read before that DEET based repellants don't work with Maldivian mossie, travelling with kids so keen to find the answer before arrival!! Also hear that the sandflies are pretty aggressive, any tips?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Humble Jim
Sandflies are not really a problem IMO. I hardly noticed them. In my experience, the worst place for sandflies is New Zealand. Not the same species but they were a problem Evil or Very Mad .

On Meeru, mosquitoes are arguably far more of an issue than sandflies and mostly on the leeward (less windy) side of the island. The flying insects seem a bit choosy. Some people get bitten a little, a few a lot, others not at all. My wife found that not using perfume helped greatly - a good tip that. There's other stuff you can do to make the issue pretty well vanish.

Do sensible things and close doors promptly at night. Don't leave the door to the bathroom open any longer than you need to and so on. I was astonished to see the number of people who had villa doors wide open at night while sat out on the verandas. You could almost see all the insects homing in on the lights! I couldn't envisage how a comfortable night could follow...

I think the room boys do discretely spray under the beds etc. when they do your room which helps a lot.

Also note that the Management do take other steps to minimize the mozzie issue. I have seen a "spaceman" spraying amongst the vegetation on the island around the villas and the shrubs by the beach several times. Must get hot in that suit, but he does a good job Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Jos
Hi

I am unfortunately someone that bugs love to bite - DEET spray didn't do anything for me but the citronella spray (extracted from lemongrass) from the Duniye spa on the island seemed to do the trick. It was about $13 a bottle and was well worth it.

Just a suggestion.

Mrs Jos

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Mark
My wife and I have different approaches to the mosquito problem when it occurs. She rubs on aromatherapy oils and I use the spray as bought on the island. Both seem to work. Another interesting tip I picked up on my travels is to drink copious amounts of gin and tonic as the quinine in the tonic puts the blighters off! Not sure if it works that way or getting you so plastered that you dont care. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:57 am Reply with quote
Nette
Mark
LOL. Like your G&T solution. Will give it a try. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:21 pm Reply with quote
tah-m
Sorry Mark - but Quinine isn't in tonic any more............. Confused

may be it's the gin.....................coo what a thought!! Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Mark
Its on the ingredient list of Tesco tonic as a flavouring called quinine hydrochloride.....but who cares when you are on your fourth or fifth G+T?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:17 pm Reply with quote
tah-m
I stand corrected Embarassed

Have been told that eating marmite helps!! (and also rubbing once-used bounce tumble-dryer sheets over the skin .........!) Personally I'd rather stick to the G&T theory too

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Mark
Marmite......'you either love it or hate it'. Wonder what the mossies think of the taste? Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:35 pm Reply with quote
magic_hat
tah-m wrote:
I stand corrected Embarassed

Have been told that eating marmite helps!! (and also rubbing once-used bounce tumble-dryer sheets over the skin .........!) Personally I'd rather stick to the G&T theory too

LOL marmite probably does work! My missus won't come anywhere near me when I've eaten marmite! Why would mossies be less picky! lol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Try fresh lemon juice. Cut a lemon in half and rub the juices over your arms and legs.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:10 pm Reply with quote
tah-m
I know lemon juice helps AFTER you had been bitten (nice excuse to fish the bits out of your G&T - back to the GIN again) - but didn't know it worked as a repellant too - logical I guess due to citronella oil.
I'll try that one!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I lived in Hong Kong for a few years and it worked a treat there.

I once went to Turkey for the day and they sell lemon in bottles as a face/hand wash, I found that did the trick also, so everytime someone I know goes to Turkey, I get them to bring some back for me, its only a few pennies (or a trillion lira).

Speaking of which, anyone going soon....................?
Mosquitoes..... 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » FAQ