Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » FAQ » Mosquitoes..... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Gill
Found some travel tips on www.baa.co.uk that suggested taking Brewer's Yeast tablets for a week before you go. Apparently the mossies are put off by the scent of them that permeates thru your skin. (Imperceptible to humans!)
I'll give a go and let u all know at the end of Feb. Trouble is I'll definitely be trying the G&T thing too, so I won't know which one works!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:48 am Reply with quote
Mark
Mark Jones. Off to Turkey again in June. Still have a bottle of that lemony stuff in the cupboard. It does smell nice, and it does work......forgot all about it until you mentioned it!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:07 am Reply with quote
The King
Unfort I know no one going to/from turkey!

Any idea where I can get something similar in the UK?
Don't fancy the idea of rubbing fresh lemon juice overm e, this cream/lotion sounds a lot nicer!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:10 am Reply with quote
The King wrote:
Unfort I know no one going to/from turkey!
Any idea where I can get something similar in the UK?

I am not sure if you can get it in the UK, but you may be able to buy it on-line..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Gill
Hi Glow,
Can you be more specific about the Avon oil? It's been mentioned before on this forum & I'd like to check it out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:37 pm Reply with quote
tah-m
I've been told that any of the Avon Skin-so-soft items work - but specifically in the "woodland fresh" fragrance.

Have already squirelled some away to try in July - if it does work I think I'd rather use that on the kids than too much DEET. The wretched mossies can smell me a mile off - never did work out how come I can sleep in same bed as hubby and he wakes up flawless while I've been eaten alive. Haven't had too much of a problem on any of our previous trips to the Maldives, but figure that the weather in July might make the wee beesties more of a problem this time.

BTW - and totally off the subject, we discovered that Benadryl cream is fantastic if you happen to take any scrapes from the coral (easy done while diving/snorkelling especially if there's any sort of current) . Both of us in previous trips have ignored a wee mark, only to have it erupt in ghastly blisters under the skin a week or so later due to growing coral polyps (charming!). A bit of Benadryl seems to help an awful lot if used promptly afterwards. Have tried other anti-histamines/antiseptics and not found them very helpful

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Gill
Thanks Tah'm, will buy some Benadryl too--taking 2 boys with me-- Smile bound to need it!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Gill
Glow--are you really an Avon rep? Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:12 pm Reply with quote
barbcats
Woodland Fresh Skin So Soft was at one time Avon's biggest seller in Brazil due to it's anti mosie properties. Don't know what it is about the stuff but it does work and they even recomend it in certain guide books. It does not smell too girly and can be used without raised eyebrows by the lads. (not so the jasmine smelling one) A big plus is you will also end up with lovely soft skin.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:51 am Reply with quote
miniman69
Barbcats,

Having suffered quite badly the last two years when I've been to Greece, I'm going to take your recommendation and buy some Woodland Fresh Skin So Soft.

What size/how many bottles will I need to take to protect me & my other half for two weeks from our lovely airborne friends?

Also, as I don't know any Avon Rep's, can you buy it in the high street or is it best to buy it off the net?

Many thanks.

Brian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:03 am Reply with quote
tah-m
The avon website link is
http://www.avonshop.co.uk/search.asp?stype=kw&s=skin+so+soft&t=1&searchcode=Enter+Code

they have several of the SSS Woodland fresh products on a 2 for £4 offer at the momnet (not the oil) - think I might try the moisurising shower stuff too.

Pretty sure you can't buy Avon on the high street anywhere

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:56 am Reply with quote
miniman69
Thanks tah-m.

I'm going to order some today.

Both this and Steve's site are proving to be invaluable.
SSS 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:53 am Reply with quote
Beestie
If you can manage to find yourself an Avon rep the Woodland Fresh Dry Body Oil Spray is currently on offer at £2.50 per bottle (normally £5).

Someone at work brings our books in for us and I've already started to put my collection by Laughing With 4 of us to protect think I shall need quite a stash especially as the mozzies love me loads.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:55 am Reply with quote
tah-m
hey Beestie - fancy being our Avon lady ????? Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Gill
Oh no!! Have just ordered online at £5 bottle!
Mosquitoes..... 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » FAQ