Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » FAQ » Mosquitoes..... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Joess
Glow............. to know this much about Avon you have GOT to have some shares in them!! Avon profits must be up!! LOL

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:46 pm Reply with quote
barbcats
Well, you all know where to get Avon from now!!!!

One bottle of dry oil spray per person for two weeks should do it, but you could always pack an extra. I have an Avon lady and have completely forgot to load up on this, I am kicking myself. Have been using the Jasmine scented one.

Avon frequently does special offers on this range and it really works out very good value.

I am leaving in 7 days, Very Happy so I have no chance to get some before I go Crying or Very sad ,

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:33 pm Reply with quote
flibbidyjib
no mosi's. Didnt even feel the need for insect repelent or room sprays etc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:41 am Reply with quote
The King
I have been in email contact with someone who's just returned...the suggest the following;
Quote:
We used a product from BOOTS called MOSQUITO MILK which is a roll on and very effective. It is around £6.00 but well worth it. You just have to remember to put it on each evening. If you remember then no bites, if you don't them MAYBE!!

Anyone used this stuff?
Mosquitos - oh no! 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:40 pm Reply with quote
ass944
Well I think I cracked it a few yrs ago. I used to be eaten alive with mossies and they never touched my hubby. I tried the Avon Skin So Softly, lemon juice. Not tried the Gin&T method (sounds interesting!). I was told to get buy 'Mosquit-X'. You can only buy it at the airport. It's the same company that produce P20 sunprotection lotion. Years ago when I used to buy it there was an introductory leaflet giving background to the Mosquit-X with the bottle. Apparently it was developed for guys in the army posted out in hot countries, particularly Africa. Well it does the trick for me. Downside, it tastes horrible - once you've covered your 'uncovered' bits with it and it's all over your hands it doesn't wash off easily (suppose that's the idea!) - and if you like to wear nail varnish, don't, because it will melt it! It lasts for 12 hrs alledgedly. Though when I was in the Dominican I only ever applied at night. Everyone I spoke to (who were still bitten to death) were applying day and night and the reps told us to reapply everytime you'd been swimming. Thankfully I didn't need to do that. Mosquit-X is pricey (last time it cost me £15 for a bottle) but it lasts a while (I used for 4 2week hols last yr and still got lots left). I've recommended this to lots of people I've seen bitten to death on hols, I just wish I could convince more - it's marvelous stuff believe me. Last time I had big trouble with mossies was in Zante years ago and I had weepy lumps all over my legs. Since being told about this stuff I can relax. Now I only find a bite if I've forgotten to use my Mosquit-X (last time waiting in the airport in Bangkok, I'd spent 2 weeks bite-free and came home with 7 bites from the airport!). Hope this helps someone.

Deb.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:22 pm Reply with quote
ass944 wrote:
Well I think I cracked it a few yrs ago. I used to be eaten alive with mossies and they never touched my hubby. I tried the Avon Skin So Softly, lemon juice. Not tried the Gin&T method (sounds interesting!). I was told to get buy 'Mosquit-X'. You can only buy it at the airport. It's the same company that produce P20 sunprotection lotion. Years ago when I used to buy it there was an introductory leaflet giving background to the Mosquit-X with the bottle. Apparently it was developed for guys in the army posted out in hot countries, particularly Africa. Well it does the trick for me. Downside, it tastes horrible - once you've covered your 'uncovered' bits with it and it's all over your hands it doesn't wash off easily (suppose that's the idea!) - and if you like to wear nail varnish, don't, because it will melt it! It lasts for 12 hrs alledgedly. Though when I was in the Dominican I only ever applied at night. Everyone I spoke to (who were still bitten to death) were applying day and night and the reps told us to reapply everytime you'd been swimming. Thankfully I didn't need to do that. Mosquit-X is pricey (last time it cost me £15 for a bottle) but it lasts a while (I used for 4 2week hols last yr and still got lots left). I've recommended this to lots of people I've seen bitten to death on hols, I just wish I could convince more - it's marvelous stuff believe me. Last time I had big trouble with mossies was in Zante years ago and I had weepy lumps all over my legs. Since being told about this stuff I can relax. Now I only find a bite if I've forgotten to use my Mosquit-X (last time waiting in the airport in Bangkok, I'd spent 2 weeks bite-free and came home with 7 bites from the airport!). Hope this helps someone.

Deb.

I left the Army after 24 years about 4 yrs ago and whilst serving in Hong Kong back in the late 80's we were issued with anti-mozzie stuff, it really did work but as you say, it stank! I still think I have some of that stuff somewhere, I used it on a camping trip up in Scotland a couple of years ago...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Gill
Just got back.
Used Vit B complex tabs,Woodland Fresh, plug-in mosi tabs and Boots insect repellent-still got bitten Exclamation
Didn't get around to G&T solution-got addicted to the cocktail menu Exclamation Exclamation One thing- mossies still around in the daytime, not just at night.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Beestie
Are you sure they were mozzies and not the ever popular "sand flies"?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:12 pm Reply with quote
dawn locke
I have found any thing with aloe vera in it works.

Ive had some really bad bits when I was in Zante, bitten to death to tell
the truth.

It was so warm we left the window open the first night there Exclamation

Well I was a mess the next morning, but my husband was spot free.

It was our honeymoon I looked dreadful, red, swollen itch I never
left them alone. itch itch itch......

We noticed outside our apartment a large water container for the grape
vines growing in the field next door. We were told thats why I was bit
so much.

Ive not had them as bad since, useing Aftersun with aloe vera or a gel
spray.
dawn Smile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Tatty
Spent 2 weeks in Meeru and didn't get bitten by mossies or sand flies. I used Autan roll on and my mate used Jungle formula. Worked for us. We also kept the bathroom and patio doors shut at dusk.
Re: also 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Kingy
Glow wrote:

That stuff worked a treat in the West Indies, but didn't seem to have the same effect on Kuredu Sad

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:30 pm Reply with quote
maggie
hi all

I have been told that Vitamin B1 which is thyamin works..... you take it for 2 weeks before you go and take it whilst away every day.. the brewers yeast probably didn't work because there isn't enough B1 in the mix.

also been out and bought avon skin so soft. and if that fails have bought some citronella oil from the health shop to dab on ancles and wrists....... mozzies normally go straight for me.. but with this concoction "he who dares dies Rodney" comes to mind

Big G&T person anyways.. so that can be added to mix.. doesn't stop them from eating me alive though normally.

warmest regards

maggie Smile
mosquito x insect repellent 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Christie
Hi every body
Found web site that sells mosquito x for £5.06
www.ultratrim.co.uk
bought some so hope it works !!! Wink
Christine
anti mozzy stuff 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:03 pm Reply with quote
jayjay
We always rub on Avon's "skin so soft" bath oil before heading out at night and this always works for us. It is only available from Avon as far as we know but is really effective. We have used it in Highlands of Scotland and the Florida swamps with great results i.e no bites.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:04 pm Reply with quote
maggie
well!!!

after having been there and done that as they say.....the verdict is.....

I took the vit B1 Thyamin for 2 weeks before my hols and for my entire holiday stay.....1 x 500 mg capsule per day...

I also used citronella oil on my ankles and wrists..morning and night instead of my usual perfume..( allright so I smelled a bit like a garden candle)...£2.75 aprox for small bottle from health shop

The citronella oil definitely worked.. because when I forgot to put it on I got bit..............but the bites didn't become infected like they usually do and that was down apparantly to the B1...

so concensus is they both worked admirally..... and for once I wasn't the one who was eaten alive

mggie Wink

[/url]

bear with me as I am blonde,and am awaiting next vacation
[/url]
Mosquitoes..... 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » FAQ