Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » FAQ » UPDATED MEERU INFORMATION and some guidance... Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
UPDATED MEERU INFORMATION and some guidance... 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Humble Jim
Before I left for Meeru about a fortnight ago, I received several requests for specific information about various issues. At Male airport yesterday, in the Internet bit of the executive lounge, I caught up on all the forum posts made while I was away. It’s apparent that there’s been some info, occasional confusion, rather more consequent speculation, and some plain getting the wrong end of the stick.

Thanks to several very useful extended discussions I had on Meeru with Sales & Marketing and others I am able to bring you what I hope is a bigger clearer picture for all guests visiting this beautiful island from this winter onwards. I’ve organised some of the information as answers to questions either actually asked of me or as what I anticipate would be a question.

So...in no particular order of anything...

Item #1: Fact - Meeru Village is no more from November 2006

Question: But what if I already booked "Meeru Village" for after this date ?

If you did this, and want confirmation of your original booking, then email Meeru one to two weeks before you go stating you booked a holiday in Meeru Village. They know this will apply to many people. They will endeavour to honour your original Meeru Village booking with just the same diligence as any other guest room request. If the reps don't automatically handle this for you, Meeru's more than willing to try and assist you.

Question: So who eats where now ?

By default, if you are in a room in the 500s (Water Villas), 600s (‘old’ Jacuzzi Villas), 700s (‘old’ Jacuzzi Water Villas) or a Honeymoon Villa then the Maalan is your restaurant - as applied under the Meeru Village system. By default people in all other rooms eat at the Farivalhu restaurant. Possibly some people are under the impression that options are disappearing. Not so! In fact a new degree of flexibility comes in.

Question: So where’s that flexibility then ?

An example. If you are assigned room 602, say, you are very much nearer the Farivalhu than the Maalan (default for 600s). Under the new system you could request at the outset to eat at the Farivalhu for the much improved convenience. Wish we could have done that ourselves last March, we ended up using the buggy all the time to get back from the Maalan at night. We loved the proximity to the pool from 602 but Maalan treks got harder and harder as the holiday went on; frustratingly, you can see the Farivalhu as you step out of 602. Last March we couldn't possibly have stayed in 602 and eaten at the Farivalhu but from this November this can be requested.

Another real example. A couple we met this time (hi Sharon and Martin!) have been to Meeru three times and they love the Water Villas. Although they’re impressed with the Maalan their heart was with the Farivalhu. Under the new regime they’ll be able to ask for the Farivalhu as their restaurant and stay in their favourite room type.

Question: So what about the other way round ?

It’s a straightforward geographical fact that the Farivalhu is centrally located and the Maalan way up at the north end so it’s less far likely that people will in, say, the 100s, 200s and 300s would ever want to walk to the Maalan (as a minimum you’d trudge half the island length and at most the whole island length). But if any guest has a specific restaurant requirement then it will be given full consideration and if they can accommodate the request they’ll do so. The only definite ‘no-no’ is children in the Maalan.

Question: So that’s really definite, NO children in the Maalan ?

Meeru recognises that a proportion of its guests, often but by no means exclusively honeymooners, wish to eat in an environment where children are not present. They’ve either raised children for many years or maybe are about to and/or simply want some adult time! The Maalan will always remain off limits to children.

Item #2: What accommodation on Meeru can children stay in ?

Families with children are accepted into Land Villas or Standard Rooms. This is an easy rule to remember.

Children cannot stay in Jacuzzi Villas, Water Villas, Jacuzzi Water Villas or Honeymoon Villas.

Item #3: So will Standard Rooms still exist on Meeru ?

With the disposal of the old 100 and old 300 standard rooms some 18 Standard rooms (the 800s) will remain for the foreseeable future. Unlike the old 100s and 300s the 800s are relatively recently built. I’ve seen inside 817 now (Supa Scuba’s home!) and was truly impressed. No, they’re not in a perfect beach location, but are well furnished, very comfortable and just steps away from the pool, restaurant and Dhoni bar.

It’s probably worth pointing out by the way, for the benefit of those slightly adverse to seeing children about on Meeru, that Standard Rooms are the most family-occupied rooms. With a significant drop in the proportion of Standard Rooms this year it’s entirely possible, expected even, that there’ll be a marked decrease in children on the island. Not that there is ever very many there anyhow. Meeru is in fact completely neutral about families and children. They’re not going to start a Children’s Club there (like such as Bandos runs) but if a family wants to come to Meeru they’ll welcome them – the staff love to fuss over kids. The reduction of Standard Rooms is all to do with ever rising expectations/demand of the ‘couples’ market and competing with other resorts - a huge influence that - but Meeru wants to continue to keep broad appeal. Its scale means that it can achieve this.

Item #4: Half-Board option is disappearing from this Winter season onwards

Meeru will be finally dropping the Half-Board option, leaving it a resort you can go either Full Board or All Inclusive to from this Winter onwards.

Item #5: When will the new Jacuzzi Water Villas (the 300s) be finished ?

They’re not far off done now. Some small supply chain problems have caused some minor delays with final fitments/furnishings. The expectation is that the first rooms will open (in rapid batches of four or five rooms at a time) during November.

Item #6: When will the new Over Water restaurant be finished ?

The clear current priority is to complete the new rooms. November sometime is the aspiration for the finishing of the Over Water. Middle of November is hoped for. It should certainly be running by Christmas. The chef for it is already on Meeru and flexing his culinary skills at the Asian Wok testing new dishes!

Item #7: So what will happen to the old Asian Wok when the Over Water restaurant starts ?

The old Asian Wok will be utterly destroyed and the land given back to nature.

[UPDATE: Jan 2007

Since my original posting of this info Meeru has had a re-think and it seems the Wok may be re-furbed and given a new lease of life instead rather than removed.]

[LATEST UPDATE: Mar 2007

The old Wok has now been fully retired in favour of the new. What to do with it ? Latest idea is either to revert to removing it or optionally turn it into a small storage facility...]

[VERY LATEST UPDATE: June 2007

The Old Wok has now been demolished and landscaping now replaces where it used to stand.]

Question: But what about those beach dinners by the Asian Wok ? Does the new restaurant replace those ?

No it doesn’t! The beach dinners that used to happen near to the Asian Wok will still operate where they always have (and also the special events like the Full Moon banquets).

Item #8: There is no such thing as a Jacuzzi Land Villa !

Rooms formerly known as 'Jacuzzi Land Villas' are now known as Jacuzzi Villas. That’s what Meeru calls them (and so do next year’s brochures). The term Jacuzzi Land Villa was adopted when conversions of the Land Villas (the 600s) were underway. It was a handy way to distinguish between the converted and as-yet unconverted and the term stuck. Now the conversions are all done, and the new Jacuzzi Villas all built and occupied too, the longer name is superfluous. The 600s are Jacuzzi Villas, and so are the 100s. Simple.

I'll try to use the newer terminology from now on and would encourage all forum posters to do so too.

Item #9: Lastly...

The key thing to remember is that if you have a particular preference for a room type/location/dining option on the island is that you can let Meeru know about it in advance. By dissolving the Meeru Village concept there is actually now more scope to satisfy more guest requests than existed before.

It’s my own experience that Meeru try very hard to adjust to and accommodate guests needs.

For example, I was witness to one delightful special request being sorted in front of me just a few days ago. While I was walking to room 118 with Mariya for my Jacuzzi Villa photoshoot she was in the midst of organising a Robinson Crusoe trip amid heavy booking for it, for a guest with a particular mission. A gentleman was desperate to get to a sand bank before he left for home…so he could propose there.

I’ve no doubt that Mariya and colleagues sorted it, but as to whether the gentleman’s lady said "yes"...well that’s another story Wink !

Humble Jim

Last edited by Humble Jim on Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:17 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Steve from Durham
Site Admin
Cheers for that Jim,

That should help with the mega thread that has been running lately, and should stop any confusion...(we hope Wink )

steve Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:06 pm Reply with quote
surfinsandie
Thank you so much HJ.....I'm sure I speak on behalf of everybody on this forum - a HUGE thanks for taking so much time of your holiday ....which is so precious - to establish 'actual facts' regarding Meeru Very Happy Very Happy

The clouds are now lifting Cool I have never doubted that out holiday will be fabulous. Personally speaking I'm getting a little cheesed off with all this 'will it/will it not be a great holiday. Nothing in life is guaranteed.......we all want to have the perfect holiday and sometimes we will be disappointed.....such is life. I am of the opinion that you sometimes have to 'go with the flow'. We have done all we can to ensure we will get 'what we booked' but I'm certainly not going to get too stressed out worrying about it...and no it's not because we can afford to throw away such a large amount of money on this holiday.

Maggie - I've already started on the wine - maybe that's why I am so chilled out - maybe tomorrow with a 'big head' I'll be back here moaning Wink

Once again thanks HJ, waiting with baited breath for further reports/piccies Very Happy

Regards
Sandie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:10 pm Reply with quote
albawn
Thanks HJ, that was very informative and forum members will be glad of the news.

Thanks again for comlrting this on your first day home.

Alison.

p.s - could this info also be posted on Meeru.com forum, as members there are also worried about the changes?

Last edited by albawn on Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Nobber
Nice one Jim. I must admit there was some serious panic posting going on on the forum about the whole 'Village' debate.

Thanks again for clearing things up.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:53 pm Reply with quote
helen m
Thanks very much for the info HJ,it's certainly clarified things.
Hopefully people will now be re-assured.
Cheers
Helen

[/url]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Steve from Durham
Site Admin
albawn wrote:
Thanks HJ, that was very informative and forum members will be glad of the news.

Thanks again for comlrting this on your first full day home.

Alison.

p.s - could this info also be posted on Meeru.com forum, as members there are also worried about the changes?

might be a good idea to keep this info on here for the time being, Meeru are aware of its availability and there is a link on the official site to this sticky...also any one posting replies to this topic have to be registered..... unlike the Meeru site at present, this could help re current situation on the officila site forum.

steve Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:05 pm Reply with quote
albawn
steve & pamela DURHAM wrote:
albawn wrote:

Thanks again for comlrting this on your first full day home.

Alison.

might be a good idea to keep this info on here for the time being, Meeru are aware of its availability and there is a link on the official site to this sticky...also any one posting replies to this topic have to be registered..... unlike the Meeru site at present, this could help re current situation on the officila site forum.

steve Very Happy

Well said Steve, never thought about it that way. I did notice just after I had written the first post that you had put a note on Meeru.com.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:07 pm Reply with quote
maggie
HJ you are a star

thank you so much for covering so many controvasies that have arisen..

and thank you for taking the time from your holidays to cover such issues......I am humbled by your thoughtfullness

I am a true beleaver in knowing what is going on...

I am glad that the "village" in its perseption is to remain as it is a unique selling point for Meeru it sets it apart from all other islands

I am overawed with the new JLV's they are devine and cannot for the life of me wait for the unvieling of the over the water Asian Wok......I just know that this is going to be out of this world.......and the most beautiful place ever on this earth

I have no idea what to expect of the new JWV's if they are up from the JLV's which they will be......then wow once again is the only terminology that I can think of

being honest HJ I was worried by something that had been written on the official forum by meeru them selves and now I feel completely at rest again

roll on our next hols.....just got to get Edd to do a bit more work so that we can go once more go back to an island that has stolen our hearts

sandy...got the wine out myself in order to join in Laughing Laughing

maggie Wink

[/url]

bear with me as I am blonde,and am awaiting next vacation
[/url]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:48 pm Reply with quote
NOVECH
Very Happy But did you have a good holiday Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:09 am Reply with quote
Precio
How was the weather? (yes I am obsessed)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:49 am Reply with quote
FastEddie
From one Yorkshireman to another, it's good to see some no-nonsense fact around here! Smile

I am rapidly moving towards requesting a new JV, you know - i think all my fears have been allayed and I am now just hoping on the weather!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:07 am Reply with quote
matt_b
Thanks for the info, it's cleared a lot up.

Given the new flexibility with the restaurants, can you pick & choose from night to night or is the one you pick on your first day the one you dine in for the rest of the holiday? I can imagine we would pick the closest one, but might want to wander further one evening to the other.

We're counting down the H:M:S Very Happy

Matt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:38 am Reply with quote
Humble Jim
No, you'll not be able to pick and mix like that through your holiday. Your assigned main restaurant is your regular one for the duration of your stay.

Alternative dining options do exist though. There are three other a-la-carte type restaurants on the island aside from the two main ones. The Hagern, Dhoni Bar and Asian Wok (later on, the Over Water) are popular alternatives worth investigating for one off meals away from the regular restaurants. You pay extra for these but they are great for those 'special' meals or when you just want to try something different.

For those who asked about the weather, it was superb Very Happy .

Just about 1 hour of rain in the entire fortnight, not bad at all for 'Wet Season', which seems to have ended early this year. Always an element of luck involved of course, but in all our trips - even the soggier ones - we've never felt short changed Sun-wise Cool .

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:34 am Reply with quote
Taz
Many many thanks for the update!!! Exclamation Very Happy
UPDATED MEERU INFORMATION and some guidance... 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » FAQ