Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports from anywhere else in the world! » Bali Tropic Resort & Spa, Bali Goto page 1, 2  Next
Bali Tropic Resort & Spa, Bali 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Parveen
What can i say about this place, except that i found it to be disgusting.
The resort itself is behind closed doors off a beaten track were most of the resorts are. Once inside the reception area is huge, very temple looking. The area is very much built up with villa type rooms, all adjoining and built to at least 2 stories high.

There appear to be 6 Royal Delux Bungalows, at the top of the resort, they are nestled amongst the other rooms, it is in a block or 3 with 3 others on top. Dont get me wrong most of it is made from stone and marble, the Royal rooms are very spacious with a free standing marble bath large enough for two and a wet area as a shower.

A balcony with a settee and bed type thing, which overlooks the standard rooms, its so built up and heavily populated with trees etc its like a council estate with flats and tropical trees!

However it stinks of sewage near there, so if you dont mind the stench, you will be ok!

There is a TV with foreign stations, nothing worth watching.

The resort is extremely popular with Germans, its full of them to be honest and all they seem to do is sit at the swim up pool bar and drink all day.

The resort boasts a 24 hour food and beverage place, but they only seem to serve food between 3:30pm and 6:30pm and then from 11:00pm until 06:30am.

Breakfast is 7:00am until 10:00am, Lunch, 1:00pm - 2:30pm and evening meal at 7:00pm - 9:30pm at various locations in the resort dependant on weather.

Food is absolutely diabolical. The al a carte menu which you can only have in the Cempaka Bar between 24hrs above consists of instant mash potato with steak and overcooked veg, hotdogs with relish, hamburgers with relish, frozen french fries, spag bol (disgusting) and Pizza Margarita and Funghi (the worst pizza ever with a frozen base, tinned tomato thrown on top, grated stringy cheese and the toppings which were all from cans or jars).

The food consisted daily of warm fruit and salad, i mean if you think chopped up tomatoes is satisfactory, a bowl of lettuce leaves, roast potatoes, pork, mini beefburgers, chopped chicken, fish (which was ok), rice and soya chilli sauce, well then you are mad.

If i could have got a flight home, i would have come back. If you are veggie like me then there is nothing for you to eat except the cheese pizza or tomatoes and lettuce.

I am not a fussy eater and i do eat fish but 7 day and nights on the trott kind of puts you off.

The resort does not have any menus on the bars as to what drinks they do provide, i mean cola and pineapple and apple juice were all we had, untill i spotted someone have a Bannana Juice (milk, ice and an almost rotten bannana whizzed up together in a blender), which they only do at the sunken pool bar betweeen 10:00am and 5:00pm.

They do a fruit punch non alcoholic which i found out about on my 6th night as i saw someone having one this was satisfactory.

Mosquitoes are a nightmare in this place and do take repellant if you ever venture to Indonesia.

We were misinformed that this resort was a 4* but no way was it a 4*, more like 2*.

The beach is shared with all the other resorts and you have about 800 yards of beach before it is divided for the next resort. The beach is brown and not white as the pictures in the brochure make out, its no were as nice as the Maldives.

Beware of the noise from the motorized watersports, it never stops at all therefore you get no peace and the beach sellers come and try and flogg you tat.

It is also a flight path, so you constantly get overhead planes, but they are not noisy, just nice to watch now and again.

Out of all the people in the resort (i would say less than 70 - they tell me they call that full) we were the only british people except two scottish couples, who were lovely.

The rest were 75% Germans, 10% Italian, 5% Russian, 5% Aussie, 3% French and 2% Brits.

Germans did not mix with others and all they seemed to do was wear the same outfit for the entire week thats the fat he she women in the same bikinis day in day out and no nice clothes for evening just same outfits, and drink and eat all day long.

To me it was a nightmare holiday, disgusting resort and place, would never go back to Indonesia and Maldives 4* or 5* here we come.

If you have been to somewhere as luxiorious as Maldives then do not go to Indonesia, it is such a come down, or vice versa if you have been to Indonesia and want quality then go to Maldives.

Good job that i am off to Maldives in April 2008.

If you want any more info then do not hesitate to contact me or leave me a post.

P.S The only good thing was that we had 4 days of 34 degrees temp and no rain until the 5 night and day were we began to have light showers and towards the 7th day it was cool, id would say about 28 degrees.

Also take Indonesian Rupiahs and about $100 USD, they do prefer their own money, its best to take it as if you try and pay with USD you dont get value for money as you only get 7000 Rupiahs to the USD and 20,000 Rupiahs to the GBP, but at the airport you have to pay $25 USD for a Visa and upon leaving the country you have to pay 150,000 Rupiahs as departure tax, so beware (it works out at around £10).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:39 am Reply with quote
ivorfatarse
hi parveen we to have just returned from the ramada resort at benoa (near nusa dua)have to agree with a lot of the stuff you have posted its not a patch on the maldives however every holiday we have been on we get hassle meeru apart but these people are just trying to make a dollar so i would not say its steroetypical of indonesia.did you do any trips whilst there?

[/url]
Nusa Dua Bali 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:27 am Reply with quote
alan.yates
You have to speak as you find... we stayed at the Sheraton Nusa Dua in 2002 and have to say it was one of the best hotels and resorts we have stayed in.
Would recommend it to anyone, luxury in every way, and brilliant food in 3 restaurants.
The only black mark was two days before we were due to leave, sadley the bombing of Kuta occurred.

It is one place we have promised ourselves a return.... however after Meeru in April it could be a regular return to the Maldives

Alan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Parveen
Ivorfartarse, yes im glad you know what i mean. I know that some people may have found a reasonable resort in Bali, but my trip made me realise i just did not like it there and it is not all that its cracked up to be.

I went onto the elephant camp and had a elephant ride, it was really good, such an experience, however on the site they had a small concrete cage with no light except at the front where the iron bars were. There was a little baby honey bear, so nice but such a shame to see it locked up in darkness roaming in its poo and pee, it smelt bad and the poor bear looked so sad.

It was a tourist thing and you had the opportunity to hold one of the bears (there were two of them, i never did hold one!!).

There was also a monkey looking thing in a cage, all cooped up looking so sad, it made me feel so sorry for him. Im not the worlds greatest animal lover, but even i felt sad for them.

All in all i did not feel confident enough to be able to leave the gated resort as they can spot tourists a mile off and know you are not a local and therefore did not feel confortable in being hounded and tapped for tips etc.

Have you been anywhere else in the world which you can enlighten me on?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Steve from Durham
Site Admin
Is Bali a single resort area or is there a number of areas (like the costa's sorry to put it on a like for like with Spain) have never been and it was on the list prior to finding the Maldives....

Is it a no shoes type place..

Any photos showing Bali and accomadation

Many thanks

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:43 pm Reply with quote
ivorfatarse
sri lanka is very good the people a very friendly the food is excellent and some of the sights are amazing there is a much better elephant sanctuary there called pinewala(sp) kandy is v.good also with the temple of the tooth etc and sigariya which is a rock fortress where you can climb to the top and the views are amazing.kenya was great for the safari but it seems to be a definite no go at the minute.thailand was ok but we did only stick to the hotel at night we stayed in pattaya but the nightlife is not really our thing next trip to thailand will be to trang which is supposed to be ace but we always end up going back to meeru also everywhere we go we compare to meeru which i tried very hard not to do this time in bali but i could not help it!

[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:49 pm Reply with quote
ivorfatarse
hi steve there are a number of resorts all over the island but its not a no shoes place unfortunatly no pics cause it p****d it down for 5 days if you do go i was told aug-sept is best time to go but i would deffo think about the flights they really wipe you out we left bali 7pm gmt on the 30th and got home 730 pm on the 31st its only three hours from perth in oz!!

[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Parveen
Hi Steve, definately not a no shoes no n ews place. I do have some pictures and i shall put them on the net or if you wouldlike me to email you them directly, then just send me your email address.

If you love the luxuary of maldives and the style and atmosphere od maldives, i would not really go to Bali, i mean if you really want to go get yourself the cheapest deal you can (if theres any such thing), that way if you are dissapointed then you wont feel so bad about money you paid for the holiday.

Alternatively go to tripadvisor and put in Bali Tropic Resort, Bali as there are many candid travellers pics on it for all to see and let me know what you make of it.

Last edited by Parveen on Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:57 am Reply with quote
alan.yates
Steve
Check out www.99bali.com/hotels/sheratonlaguna
As mentioned earlier it is a great place to chill out, hotel on its own stretch of beach, we did not move only for one trip to the monkey forest or a small walk to some evenings to local restaurants.

We spent a few days in Hong Kong then on to Bali, but next time may do Singapore or Bangkok before Bali.

Another great Hotel we shall return to one day is the Imperial Koh Samui Thailand
check out www.imperialhotels.com/samui

best regards
Alan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:04 am Reply with quote
Steve from Durham
Site Admin
ivorfatarse wrote:
hi steve there are a number of resorts all over the island but its not a no shoes place unfortunatly no pics cause it p****d it down for 5 days if you do go i was told aug-sept is best time to go but i would deffo think about the flights they really wipe you out we left bali 7pm gmt on the 30th and got home 730 pm on the 31st its only three hours from perth in oz!!

3 hrs from OZ thats a long flight, would have to do a stop over

steve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:08 am Reply with quote
Steve from Durham
Site Admin
Parveen wrote:
Hi Steve, definately not a no shoes no n ews place. I do have some pictures and i shall put them on the net or if you wouldlike me to email you them directly, then just send me your email address mine is ***************com.

If you love the luxuary of maldives and the style and atmosphere od maldives, i would not really go to Bali, i mean if you really want to go get yourself the cheapest deal you can (if theres any such thing), that way if you are dissapointed then you wont feel so bad about money you paid for the holiday.

Alternatively go to tripadvisor and put in Bali Tropic Resort, Bali as there are many candid travellers pics on it for all to see and let me know what you make of it.

Parveen

i have sent you a e mail and removed your e mail addy from the post as it could lead to spam or worse....if you want to back on just edit the post again

steve

steve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:13 am Reply with quote
Steve from Durham
Site Admin
alan.yates wrote:
Steve
Check out www.99bali.com/hotels/sheratonlaguna
As mentioned earlier it is a great place to chill out, hotel on its own stretch of beach, we did not move only for one trip to the monkey forest or a small walk to some evenings to local restaurants.

We spent a few days in Hong Kong then on to Bali, but next time may do Singapore or Bangkok before Bali.

Another great Hotel we shall return to one day is the Imperial Koh Samui Thailand
check out www.imperialhotels.com/samui

best regards
Alan

Cheers Alan

will check out the sites

steve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:18 am Reply with quote
Parveen
Thanks Steve for the tip off. Ive now removed it and sent you a short email.

Speak soon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:21 am Reply with quote
ivorfatarse
ahh the monkey forest i did not like it there i don't trust the little buggers and i did not like the monkeys either!i did find transport to be very cheap don't use hotel taxi though the bluebirds are cheaper and the free pick up and drop off service to most restaurants is a great idea if anyone finds themselves in nusa dua try the paon restaurant in the bali collection its excellent and the staff are v.friendly.

[/url]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:16 am Reply with quote
alan.yates
Agreed Ivor, the monkeys were very cheeky and very well educated little blighters, my missus remembers the day well as one baby monkey did a pee on her, well not much I think she senced it coming and threw him off.

The journey back from there that day via the sunset on the east coast was not to be forgotten and in addition we passed thro Kuta a few hours before the bombing.

Thanks for the restaurants tip, will look out for that next time

Best regards

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports from anywhere else in the world!
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum