Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports from anywhere else in the world! » P&O Cruise Oriana Dublin Bilbio La Rochelle Gurnsey Goto page 1, 2  Next
P&O Cruise Oriana Dublin Bilbio La Rochelle Gurnsey 
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Pauline10253
First of all a message for Steve, this cruise was nowhere near as good a yours.

However here is my report on the Oriana

Good points

Arriving at Southampton outside the terminal, the porters collect your bags and the next time you see them is in your cabin. Guess what, one of our labels fell of so we had to go and search for it. We found it along with several others at reception. Your car is taken across to the car park, you then check in. There was about 20 desks open, so less than 30mins we were on holiday having a buffet lunch on board. An hr later we were in our room.

Our room was on the outside, and quite spacious.
Cabin steward was good.
Food excellent. We dined in the main restraunt for our evening meals.
For lunch and breakfast we dined mainly buffet stile. Both of these were well busy.

The weather was very good considering the time of the year

There was always something going on

Cheap drinks.

The pools were good

Arriving home again it was very well organized we had to vacate our room by 8.30. 9.30 we were walking off the ship.

The not so good

Overall i did not rate this cruise any better than ones i had been with Thompson and Airtours.

None of the staff went the extra mile, Perhaps Meeru has spoilt me.

The theatre group were nothing special.

The carbaret acts were ok.

The spa was very expensive.

Average age must have been 75.

What amazed me were the number of people with their electric buggies,
(ok I know i will get old one day)

Trips

We went into Dublin and visited a Irish pub with irish dancers and irish music. This was excellent.

Bilbao We decided as it was a hot day to stay on board. It was great with few people on board

la Rochelle Someone was on strike so we could not visit extra day at sea.

Gurnsey Weather cloudy. We went into St peters Port, not impressed. In the afternoon we went to Herm, it reminded me of the madlives, a tiny island no traffic friendly people. Unfortunatey the weather was not like the maldives.

I have booked again to go on the Artemis Feb 2010 to go through the Panama Canal. The main reason is the venue. Meeru still wins hands down.

Hope this helps anyone considering going crusing.

Pauline

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:57 am Reply with quote
Mark Jones
We have recently joined the Bolsover Cruise Club and we received our marketing package yesterday, some of the deals they do are pretty amazing.
One cruise caught our eye and that was a South American cruise which included a long trip up the Amazon.

What was the ship like itself, was it clean etc, did it seem busy on board?

Cost wise, cruises are really competitive and we may take a look at them late next year. However, if I get my way, we will opt for a new caravan instead!

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:24 pm Reply with quote
helenpea
Pauline10253 wrote:

What amazed me were the number of people with their electric buggies,

Pauline

Hi Pauline

Thanks for your insight into cruising. Panama Canal cruise should be fantastic bet your looking forward to it.

Were the buggies actually used on the ship or when they disembarked? I have no objections to anyone using buggies as they are a valuable way of getting around for many people, however after nearly falling victim to a 'hit and run' in Debenhams recently, I would have thought a ship would not be the best place to use them.

Helen Very Happy

The best things in life are not things.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Pauline10253
Hi mark & Helen

Mark i have just registered with Bolsover, i could not think of the name (someone recommed then on our cruise) until you mentioned them So thanks for that
If anyone is thinking of crusing with P&O some of the crusies get booked up quickly.

The ship itself was very clean and any restraunt you went in you had to wash your hands with the special wash which they use in hospitals. This is to try and stop the spreading of the Novelvirus bug (not sure about the spelling)

I was worried that the ship would be overcrowed but it was fine (better than Thompsons) No probs with sunbeds even when we wre at sea all day. There was no probelms getting a seat in the theatre, unlike thompsons.

At times though things seemed not to flow right, some of the service was slow.

Whats wrong with your old caravan. Give me a holiday anyday. Caravaning seems soo much hassle, but its each to their own.

Helen The buggies

Yes the buugies were used on board ship and it was a nightmare with some people, like you i did not think it was the place for them. At least i did not see anyone taking them on the tender into St Peter Port. It was bad enough with ordinary wheelchairs and childrens buggy.

Sorry i must be showing my age.

I came home totally de stressed but i am back to square one with work, a memeber of staff is off sick for ??? , another is on jury service.
Plus i am in the process of hoping to move. So far its taken12 weeks, i have not got to sell mine and i am buying a new build. The builder is going mad, at one stage before i went away i told him i would pull out of the sale. We seem to take one step forward and two back.

Never mind i am off to St lucia for a wedding in Aug and they New year Meeru here we come.

Pauline

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:48 am Reply with quote
Steve from Durham
Site Admin
People who use wheelchairs / buggys etc who are not able to get into a tender unaided are not allowed to use them (safety reasons) if its a gang plank then it is no problem.

on our recent QM2 Transatlantic Crossing, the amount of wheelchairs and zimmer frames with wheels were in abundance Rolling Eyes

Manners must go out the window with some of the users we came across, our 79yr old Aunt was victim of a near hit and run.

would deffo do a cruise again, Caribbean, Med, Cunard have a Caribbean and visit to the Panama Canal in Nov 09 (to big to travel along it at present)

steve

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:36 am Reply with quote
Mark Jones
Pauline10253 wrote:
Hi mark & Helen

Mark i have just registered with Bolsover, i could not think of the name (someone recommed then on our cruise) until you mentioned them So thanks for that
If anyone is thinking of crusing with P&O some of the crusies get booked up quickly.

The ship itself was very clean and any restraunt you went in you had to wash your hands with the special wash which they use in hospitals. This is to try and stop the spreading of the Novelvirus bug (not sure about the spelling)

I was worried that the ship would be overcrowed but it was fine (better than Thompsons) No probs with sunbeds even when we wre at sea all day. There was no probelms getting a seat in the theatre, unlike thompsons.

At times though things seemed not to flow right, some of the service was slow.

Whats wrong with your old caravan. Give me a holiday anyday. Caravaning seems soo much hassle, but its each to their own.

Pauline

A bloke at work was on the very same cruise. It was his first cruise and he enjoyed it very much. He said it was very well organised.

As for my new caravan, I think you miss the point Pauline . You don't have to go without a holiday to have one as you use it to go on holiday. Last year alone we had 38 nights away in it and we enjoyed every single one of them.

Its the fastest growing holiday experience in the UK at the moment, You are all missing out!

Laughing

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Elaine
Hi all,

Quote:
As for my new caravan, I think you miss the point Pauline . You don't have to go without a holiday to have one as you use it to go on holiday. Last year alone we had 38 nights away in it and we enjoyed every single one of them.

Its the fastest growing holiday experience in the UK at the moment, You are all missing out!

Couldn't agree with you more Mark, we are off tomorrow too France (The Champagne region) for a week in our folding camper with the two kids (who incidently have a small tent each, they like there own space). Freedom to go where we like when we like and enjoy the countryside and the simple life...happy caravanning

Elaine

[/url]

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Mark Jones
A woman after my own heart...

We had a Conway Folding Camper for about 13 years prior to our current caravan. The kids grew up with the folding camper and absolutely loved it. When we sold it there were tears I can tell you!

We toured all over Europe in ours, from Luxembourg to Spain, we loved it!

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Elaine
Excellent! guess what ours is a Conway folding camper too... it is a Conway Cruiser, had it for the last 10 years... Can't wait to get to France tomorrow...

A few more camping trips during the summer hopefully too, we are members of the camping and caravanning club so usually use there club sites... fantastic.

[/url]

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Mark Jones
The Cruises are brilliant, we had the Cardinal Clubman and we loved it. When we actually sold it we got well over half what we paid for it when we bought it brand new back in 1993!

I was going to say I hope you have a great trip to France but I would be stating the obvious!

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Pauline10253
Hi Mark

I agree that with a caravan you can just get up and away. We used to have a caravan, but moons ago we were going to Scotland via the lake district, we were towing with a ford caravanett, when the vehcile gave up the ghost and we had to back down a hill. We managed to get to another site, limped back home and bought a great big old landrover. there was no trouble then but it was the one motor i would not drive, it was like a tank. Possibily know i would have a go.

We also worked six days a week so it was impossible to use it for long weekends. (the joy of be in retail and your own business) We did however go to Cornwall Wales and Scarbough on different ocassion. Like you said we did not lose a lot of money on the caravan.

Going back to the cruise i was just disappointed in that i thought it would be a lot better than Thompsons. I must becoming a grumpy old woman.

Like i said it was not that bad and we have as you know booked to go through the panama canal on the Artemis. I phoned Bolsover cruises and got a very good price but my local travel agent managed to knock another £50 off. Making a total of £500 per person saving plus £170 on board spending.

The problem with p&O is some of their cruises get booked up very early. Overall both Thompson and P&O are good value for money.

As is Meeru Smile

Have a good weekend

Pauline

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Elaine
Quote:
The Cruises are brilliant, we had the Cardinal Clubman and we loved it. When we actually sold it we got well over half what we paid for it when we bought it brand new back in 1993!

I was going to say I hope you have a great trip to France but I would be stating the obvious!

Great for holding their value! We were thinking of buying a new one! did think about a caravan but sadly nowhere to keep it.

You got it will definately have a great time.... all packed up now. Got to get up at 4am to travel to dover for the ferry, check in 5.35am.

Luxemburg, fab we nearly booked to go there for the week, however not to far away from there so thinking of visiting for the day.

Have a great weekend,

I will post a trip report on our return.

Pauline,

Thanks for the trip report, we fancy a cruise and have been members of Bolsover for a year now but not taken the plunge yet, my inlaws go cruising with p&o at least once a year and have in fact not long been back from a world cruise with them, they love it, hope you have a great cruise in 09.

Elaine

[/url]

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Helly
Hi

If only Meeru were close enough to take a caravan or tent and spend the weekend, would deff invest in one then Very Happy

Regards
Helly.x

[/url]

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:53 am Reply with quote
Pauline10253
I think it would spoil the look of paradise Laughing

Also could you have too much of a good thing.

It would be nice trying it though.

Where would everyone like to be this weekend on a typical bank holiday, Meeru. Smile Smile

Well you can always dream.

Pauline

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:14 am Reply with quote
Mark Jones
I went up to Bolsover Cruises yesterday morning for a quick nosey seeing as its in Chesterfield. Really good set up they have and very friendly people, well worth a visit if you are passing and you are interested in cruising.

I had never heard of them until our decorator mentioned them, the do some really good deals. I think we may do a Med one first to see how we get on.

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports from anywhere else in the world!
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum