Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Diving and Snorkelling » Fish !!! Or rather TRIGGER fish ! Goto page 1, 2  Next
Fish !!! Or rather TRIGGER fish ! 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:21 pm Reply with quote
katyjane79
Right - I'm off to Meeru in just over two weeks - yippee !!! And I have been gearing myself up for some wonderful snorkelling (even about to invest in some gear - again - if anyone has an feedback on the Typhoon snorkelling gear it would be most appriciated!) - anyway - I was revelling in the fact that the maldives don't appear to be home to my biggest water fear - jelly fish. So - I was really looking forward to snorkelling in some real water !

UNTIL

I read about this "Trigger Fish" - now I'm pooping my pants and wondering if its going to be okay to snorkel without an experianced guide !!!! Any words of wisdom ???

Thanks Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:54 pm Reply with quote
ivorfatarse
Have just bought a typhoon snorkel myself and it looks better than my last one however i won't be using it till oct but the lady in the shop said they are v.good.
Don't worry to much about trigger fish as long as you know what to look for and keep your distance you'll be fine.

[/url]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:33 pm Reply with quote
jodie.kearns
ahhhh, i dont know what to look out for??? What do they look like?? Shocked

[/url]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:46 pm Reply with quote
sams
You are probably better not knowing what they look like, as I was never worried about them until I found out what they were. I used to snorkel past them without a thought, now that I am aware of what they are I swim like a mad thing to get away. Sometimes ignorance really is bliss Rolling Eyes Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Stw1955
This is the offending chappy!!!!

They are not as bad as they look, honest

Take care

Stewart Cool

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:07 pm Reply with quote
scotia_steve
Used to be a scuba instrucor and dive guide in Oz and about, never had any problems with these at all. Smile
Trigger fish 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:17 pm Reply with quote
andykay11
My understanding is that Trigger fish are only a problem during their mating season which as I recall was not in november when i dived in egypt there that year

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:10 pm Reply with quote
sallyandpaul
Oh my god those teeth!!!! lol
Not a pretty sight Shocked
With teeth like that I would"nt get that close anyway lol Smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:55 am Reply with quote
Mark Jones
You do see them when snorkeling, the trick is to keep away. I would say get no closer than 20 feet and you will be fine. (Well I have never been attacked by one, touch wood)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Tatty
I remember going quite close to them the last time I was in Meeru in 2005 and they didn't bother me. Mentioned them to the room boy who informed us that someone had been bitten on the hand by one. Steered well clear of them afterwards!
FISHES 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Shanksy
I actively got closer to them because I didn't have a clue just thought they were beautiful brightly coloured fish Laughing I was obviously VERY lucky and never had any bother though. Didn't annoy them too much I don't think!!

Meeru; October 2007, February 2015, May 2016, October 2017???

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Jussi & Sara
I used to be scuba instructor in Thailand, and there was lot´s of them. And yes, they can be a bit aggressive especially if it´s nesting season, but keep your distance and you´ll be fine. If one attacks you, just turn your fins(if you are wearing ones) towards it and slowly swim away. once youre out from its territory your safe.

Hail from Finland!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Martin & Linda
Found this......you may find it of use

I know that last year in Kuredu, Martin got "charged" by one!

The Titan Triggerfish is an infamous character of many tropical reefs, with stories abounds of how they aggressively attack divers (especially during the breeding season). Stories of people have bodily parts bitten, or the more luck just having holes in their fins… Most divers are warned of Titan’s during dive briefing etc, which does tend to heighten the anxiety for divers when they see them!

Well, here are some real facts about these misunderstood creatures!

Titan’s are extremely territorial, and especially during the breeding season on April/May they will protect there nest aggressively. During these months the male will guard the nest against all on-comers, including divers; the ‘Protection Zone’ goes directly up from the nest in a cone shape (as they can se upwards).

Their eyes are independently rotating, heavy armored scales; they are the largest member of the Triggerfish family and can grow up to 75cm!

There bites can cause infection as they contain a natural poison called Ciguatoxin, which can have serious affects on humans; in extreme cases causing heart attacks or paralysis. They may also use ramming techniques to scare other creature’s away (including divers).

Titan’s are generally short sites, so can not see well at distance.

They usually feed on hard corals or hard bodied invertebrates and algae, NOT divers!

The most important thing to remember here is that we are invading there world and territory; they are only following there instincts with regard to what they think is a threat. Now unfortunately, so divers act aggressively back to them either hitting them with points/knifes/etc. This is understandable considering the stories that get told, but this can also have an aggravating effect. The titan will learn that divers are even more dangerous, and hence attack them more (even when not provoked).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Quinny7
arrrrggg I wish I had not read this now Sad I was already a little freaked out at the thought of snorkling but now iam very scarrrrred Embarassed Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Shazo1
Quote:
You do see them when snorkeling, the trick is to keep away. I would say get no closer than 20 feet and you will be fine. (Well I have never been attacked by one, touch wood)

Thats ok as long as they are not swimming towards you at top speed, my excitement of snorkelling is now sinking into trepidation!!

Quote:
And yes, they can be a bit aggressive especially if it´s nesting season

When is Nesting season..............go on say March/April.............just when I`m there!!

And Katyjane, having been bought up holidaying at the family Caravan at Prestatyn................my fear is Jellyfish and they had plenty in waters there! fortunately, I never stay in the sea long enough to get stung, but I must say it left me very wary wherever I go on Holiday now, we did go to Gran Canaria, and my Nephew was stung by one.