Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Diving and Snorkelling » Fish !!! Or rather TRIGGER fish ! Goto page Previous  1, 2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Casey Jones
Shazo1 wrote:

When is Nesting season..............go on say March/April.............just when I`m there!!

Close....April / May around the 700's JWV's I believe. Just be a little cautious and keep your distance.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Shazo1
Thanks Casey, I`ll be there last week in March /couple of days in April, so I might get away with the Courtship!! But I will be wary, especially, as I was going to request a 700 villa.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:27 pm Reply with quote
johnk
I`ve dived and snorkelled with titan triggerfish and they only "attack" when you get too near their nests. I`ve got teeth marks on my fins to prove it. Out of nesting season they are quite harmless - dont stop snorkelling just because of one fish.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Shazo1
johnk wrote:
I`ve dived and snorkelled with titan triggerfish and they only "attack" when you get too near their nests. I`ve got teeth marks on my fins to prove it. Out of nesting season they are quite harmless - dont stop snorkelling just because of one fish.

Just a couple of things.............what does there nest look like?? Shocked and the next, I`ve never snorkelled in my life, this was to be a first, but I`m seriously having doubts now, and thinking why waste my money on top notch gear, and never use it,.............wouldnt I be happier just sitting on the deck watching them swimming below. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:00 pm Reply with quote
johnk
Quote:
Just a couple of things.............what does there nest look like?? and the next, I`ve never snorkelled in my life, this was to be a first, but I`m seriously having doubts now, and thinking why waste my money on top notch gear, and never use it,.............wouldnt I be happier just sitting on the deck watching them swimming below.

There isnt a visible nest as per birds etc. Generally if you see a titan triggerfish it will be actively circling the same generally small area while they guard the "nest" where the eggs/youngsters are.

If you happen to come upon a trigger and it starts to come towards you then move away - its just saying "go away this is my patch" In shallow water they will be feeding and not as prone to swim towards you.

Enjoy the snorkelling - just skirt around any that you see. If you do happen to get too close just turn and point your fins at them whilst backing off. Like most fish they are more frightened of YOU and its only the instinct to protect the young uns that forces then to approach you. They wont attack if you stay out of the way, simple as that.

If you dont snorkel you will miss the 99.99999% of the experience that you wont forget !!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:48 am Reply with quote
AlisonD
Shazo please don't worry and let the possibility of encountering one fish spoil your snorkeling experience on Meeru.

I would definitely still request a 700's room as the snorkeling around and under the 700's is fantastic. It is great to sit on your balcony and watch the fish - especially at night and early morning when you seem to see the most but nothing will match the experience of being in the water with them.

Like johnk says, if one comes towards you, just move away.

There is so much to see underwater that it would be a great shame for you to miss out. Don't forget also to try snorkeling at the house reef or do the two-reef trip that is organised by the Dive Centre. We have seen and been up-close to turtles doing both of these trips and the chance of being too close to a Titan is small as you are in deep water and they nest on the sea bed.

Alison Very Happy

[/url]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:43 am Reply with quote
johnk
Its interesting the perceptions of some sea life. Those lovely turtles (which are quite harmless) dont half make a racket when they are chewing up the coral !!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Tatty
When we were there in Jan 09, the dive centre manager told us the breeding season on Meeru was January/February.

Here is a short video of our experience with a titan triggerfish. It gets exciting after the first minute. It wouldn't let me get in the water- it was filmed at the end of the 300's walkway.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=odJ__sKIESc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Shazo1
Thanks Alison for your calming words, I will be getting my snorkelling gear for Xmas, and I know I will use it when I`m there, whether I will do a deep dive.............not to sure, I would love to, but my Hubby doesnt swim, so it would mean him just staying on board, at least around the Villa`s he can be an extra pair of eyes!! Shocked I am hoping to use it in Egypt next October as well, I will be experienced then................ Laughing Laughing

Tatty, the Video made me laugh, I couldnt make my mind up if he was babysitting that little fish, or if he was thinking of eating him, and wondered if you were after him to.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:15 pm Reply with quote
AlisonD
Shazo1 wrote:
but my Hubby doesnt swim, so it would mean him just staying on board,

Forgive me if this sounds facetious (as it's not meant to at all) but would he not consider having some swimming lessons before you go to give him a bit of confidence in the water? Then maybe he would be able to do one of the snorkeling trips in deeper water and wear a flotation vest for extra safety? It's such a great experience it seems a shame to miss out.

Just a thought??

Alison Very Happy

[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Shazo1
Hi Alison,

He did have Swimming lessons some years ago when we went to Florida, and he did swim whilst we were over there, but even though..................he certainly isnt frightened of Water, and he spent plenty of time in the Pool this year in the DR, I have never seen him since 1995 swim a stroke................so Its easier now to say he doesnt swim, although at a push he could swim a width of any small pool if he needed to, but I suppose its a bit different to being in the sea, I am sure he will go in, and even probably have my Snorkel gear on, but I doubt if he will do a deep dive...........he is not very adventurous.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:04 pm Reply with quote
AlisonD
You never know he might surprise you!!!

I'm certain that you won't be disappointed with the snorkeling in the shallow water if you don't do the deep water trips - there is so much to see.

Enjoy! Very Happy Very Happy

Alison Very Happy

[/url]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:51 pm Reply with quote
1983_Sarah
I have seen the dreaded Titan Trigger Fish on both trips, and as well as keeping your distance, I think it seems like you get a warning - a book I had on Maldivian Fish species said they turn to the side and "show you the spines" as a warning, so just keep aware! They are rather pretty though. Someone we met when we were away took an awesome pic of one going right for the camera, teeth and all! Close shave! It was a Meeru member, can't recall who - if you read this, post the picture!!

Meeru May 2005
Meeru June 2009
Meeru 2010
Vilamendhoo 2011
Fish !!! Or rather TRIGGER fish ! 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Diving and Snorkelling