Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » General Meeru Discussion » Standard Rooms.....Outside Views....video & pictures Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:24 am Reply with quote
NatalieD
We just spent Easter 09 in a standard room (808) and were very pleasantly surprised by how nice, clean & spacious the room was, especially after all the horrible reviews we had read!!!

We had thought about trying to get upgraded when we got to the island but we knew that would be pretty hard considering April is a very busy time and the island would be full. However once we saw the standard rooms location and walked inside we knew we would definitley not be wasting money or effort trying to upgrade as we thought we'd rather spend the extra money on spa treatments, considering the little amount of time we spend in our room on holiday anyway.

The bed was a lovely big kingsize with lovely crisp white sheets and big comfy pillows. There was nice rattan furniture which had a far more traditional feel than the modern furniture that you get in the JWV for example (we like traditional in the Maldives!). There was a big window that let in lots of natural light during the day but we tried to keep the curtains closed to try and keep the sun/heat out of the room. The lighting in the room was very good with brand new bedside lamps, a main light on the ceiling and two wall lights above the dressing table, which was very important to me as a girl who likes her make up!! Once we got used to the air-con and had it on the right setting it was great and a godsend for respite against the hot Meeru sun! There was plenty of room in the wardrobe for all our clothes and there were more than enough hangers, which was great. There are 4 shelves in the wardrobe although the safe is on the top shelf, but there was still room to put things beside the safe. There was a table and 2 chairs in the room also, but we used them more as a clotheshorse as we didn't spend any time in the room apart from getting ready and sleeping. The bathroom was fine, if a little tired, but bright and clean which was most important. It was a bit annoying that there wasn't a towel ring or rail by the basin for a handtowel (had to keep going over to the shelf at the shower to get a towel!) but that is only a minor gripe. The shower wasn't the most powerful but it was always nice and warm and did the job. A lot of people have complained about generator noise etc, but we never heard anything of the sort at any time during the holiday. The only thing that disturbed us was the birds singing at dawn, and that was a nice disturbance.

My opinion is if you are only used to 5*+ hotels and crave luxury all the time then I don't think the standard rooms are for you, and if you did end up being put in one then I'm sure you would throw a strop. BUT if you are like me and have stayed in plenty of 5* luxury hotels, but also stayed in basic 2* apartments in Greece then you will find a happy medium with the standard rooms on Meeru. They aren't luxurious by any means, but they are certainly not horrible run down staff quarters as many reviews would have you believe. My thoughts are with Steve on this issue, have these people who have posted these awful (and damaging) reviews on the standard rooms actually been to Meeru and stayed in these rooms at all?!

Personally I liked the location of the standard rooms as we like to be close to the pool, bars and restaurant. We go on holiday to relax and hate to have a 5 mile camelhike to get to where we want to go so the standard rooms were perfect for us lazy sods! The only downside to the location was obviously that we didn't have a sunbathing area and it was a bit of a battle to get a lounger by the pool or on the beach. You can ask at reception for your room sun loungers to be moved anywhere on the island. We asked for ours to be moved to the beach in front of the pool (as we would benefit from waiter service here as well as being close to the restaurant at lunch time) and they were collected from our room and delivered to the beach within 10 minutes. Now that's what I call service!

Would I stay in the standard rooms again? Yes I would, if we returned to Meeru I would like to stay in the Water Villas (500's) but if the budget or availability didn't allow it we would definitley book a standard room again (over a land villa) without a doubt.

Hope this helps reassure anyone who is staying in a standard room in the near future...

Natalie x

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:33 am Reply with quote
bubsy
Well i dont think i even neither to make a comment about standard rooms as Natalie has said it all, couldnt have said it better myself!!

We stayed in room 805 and couldnt agree with Natalie more.

Well said Natalie!

Nicole
x

[/url]

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:37 am Reply with quote
NatalieD
Thank you Nic! Very Happy

Natalie xox

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Alan & Cath
On our last trip in March this year our daughter stayed in one of the standard rooms for the first night as her room wasn't available. They are quite spacious inside and as well equipped as any of the other rooms. The only drawback is that the bathrooms are internal and get very hot and steamy with little ventilation. And a small moan-no lovely view (don't shoot me)

[/url]

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Jeanette
Alan & Cath wrote:
The only drawback is that the bathrooms are internal and get very hot and steamy with little ventilation. And a small moan-no lovely view (don't shoot me)

Totally agree that's why we paid for the upgrade.

It just goes to show how different eveyones needs are, Natalie loved the location of the rooms and to me that was the thing I disliked the most Confused

If we all wanted the same thing from Meeru we'd never be able to get booked Wink

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:29 pm Reply with quote
leetuck
Hi Guys,

I fly out on Sunday and I think I am in a standard room. If so, I will get lots of pics of the inside for people wondering what they are like.

I'm sure they will be fine Smile
standard room improvements 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Sharongnn
Just back from an amazing holiday, we were in a standard room which have been refurbished, there is now decking outide and partitioning, which gives some priviacy. If we had been offered an upgrade we would'nt have bothered as we were perfectly happy, espcially with the location of them. If I could figure out how to put photos on I would... sorry bit of a muppet when it comes to computers.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Steve from Durham
Site Admin
Just sent you a pm.

steve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Steve from Durham
Site Admin
Have posted these pictures of the Standard rooms on behalf of Sharongnn

steve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:49 pm Reply with quote
LucyW
Nice to see that they have spent some money updating and making improvements to these rooms too. Decking is a nice touch.

Roll on February 2010!!

Lu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Mark Jones
They look fine, I like what they have done to them.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:36 pm Reply with quote
soobs
Look great to me - first time we went we stayed in the other standard rooms behind the 100's we were really happy.
It all depends on the price if they were offered to me at a good saving on the beach villa's i would be happy again in one of those.

Last few times we have stayed in the beach V's and happy with those.

thanks for the pics.

[/url]
Standard Rooms 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:52 pm Reply with quote
nickygerred
Thanks Steve for the external photographs of the standard rooms.

Has anyone who have stayed recently got pictures of inside Question Question

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Standard Rooms 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:27 pm Reply with quote
nickygerred
Thanks guys all your information has been very useful.

Can't wait to go now.

Cheers
Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Chris.Davison
Hi Guys,

My partner I have booked a holiday to Meeru for June 2010 through Thomson who booked it through First Choice. My documents say "1 Villa4 SH WC AC".

I have asked them to confirm what I have actually paid for, which may come as no surprise when they said "First Choice dont offer the standard rooms" I definately have a Villa?? Its not a beach villa though. Question

No one can tell me what I have paid for. I cant see any standard Villa's, all I see are BV,JBV,WV & OWV and the standard rooms.

Looking at the posts I am no longer concerned with standard of the standard garden rooms but would like to hear if any of you have any idea on what I can expect - the travel agents certainly cant tell me what I have paid for.
Standard Rooms.....Outside Views....video & pictures 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » General Meeru Discussion