Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Diving and Snorkelling » Best Snorkeling Set Goto page 1, 2  Next
Best Snorkeling Set 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Tartantiara
Hey folks!

Looking for a snorkeling set (mask, snorkel, fins) for me and hubby - any recommendations??

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:37 am Reply with quote
Mark Jones
Depends on your budget.

I would go for Beaver kit, its really good quality and will last you years.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:30 am Reply with quote
Gunnerchris
Hi Tartantiara

When we first went to Meeru in 2007 we brought a mid price mask on line, and a cheep snorkel

Donna had never snorkelled before, so I tried to teach her, with some success and duly went on two snorkelling dives with the dive team. However she did have a few panic attacks, and one of these she nearly packed in snorkelling for good! The main problem was the mask letting in water, and the snorkel was uncomfortable in her mouth.

When we got back (to the UK) we went to a proper dive shop, we must have spent 1 ½ in the shop just trying on masks making sure they fitted, and talked to the staff about the best snorkel. We brought Tusa masks (different models) and Tusa snorkel with a very soft mouthpiece and a purge valve.

When we visited Meeru again this year with our new masks and snorkels without any problems, and when we visit again in March 09 we are taking up the “open water” dive course!

Sorry this was long winded, but I just wanted to set the scene and point out how important it is to have a good fitting mask and snorkel. Take your time, buy at a dive shop not on line, spend about £50-60 on a set and enjoy, it’s worth it!

Chris and Donna

[/url]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:33 am Reply with quote
Mark Jones
I have to agree with Chris and Donna,

The first time we went snorkeling (years ago) we bought a Speedo set for about £20. They were not that bad but they did let water in and having to keep popping up to clear it was a pain. After the holiday the straps bust and we ended up throwing them away

After that we bought the Beaver stuff, silicon mask and purged valve snorkel. Spent in the region of £60 that was back in 2006 and we have used them regularly (not just on Meeru) since and they are in as good a condition as they were the day we bought them.

As Chris and Donna said, go to a dive shop and spend as much as you can afford. If it is a speedo set, so be it, you will have a good time snorkeling but the experience is enhanced with decent kit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Tartantiara
Okay thanks guys, one thing though - is buying online really inferior to buying instore?? Our nearest diveshop is Glasgow or Edinburgh - a good 160 mile round trip!

Been looking at the Reefwear set, any good?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Steve from Durham
Site Admin
Tartantiara wrote:
Okay thanks guys, one thing though - is buying online really inferior to buying instore?? Our nearest diveshop is Glasgow or Edinburgh - a good 160 mile round trip!

Been looking at the Reefwear set, any good?

I would say not, I bought our silicon masks and snorkel from a shop off ebay, I used the "ask the question" and recieved the telephone number for the shop, I phoned explained what I was looking for, the owner was extremley helpfull even asking us to measure our faces and the masks we got are brill.

For us it would have meant a 50 mile round trip....

I am sure not all shops are as good and offer the service we recieved, but they are out there if you are unable to travel,

This is the shop we used, good luck with what ever you decide

I would say not, I bought our silicon masks and snorkel from a shop off ebay, I used the "ask the question" and recieved the telephone number for the shop, I phoned explained what I was looking for, the owner was extremley helpfull even asking us to measure our faces and the masks we got are brill.

For us it would have meant a 50 mile round trip....

I am sure not all shops are as good and offer the service we recieved, but they are out there if you are unable to travel,

This is the shop we used

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Mikes-Diving_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsxQ3asstQQtZkm

steve

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Gunnerchris
I don’t really know the Reefwear products, so I cannot comment on how good or bad they are. However, I have just looked them up, they have many ranges and I looked at the “Travel Light” range, it reads well, the mask and snorkel are silicon which is a good start, and the snorkel is a purge snorkel, also good. At £55 with the fins a good price!

However, what it does not tell me, is the mask tempered glass (to avoid damage to the eyes in the event of an accident), or is the glass the plastic glass type which discolours and scratches easy. This is something you should talk to the shop before buying on-line.

I fully understand that you have a long way to go if you want to visit a dive shop, and if you are not going to snorkel too much and/ or never again, buying on-line is cost effective. Or of course you can hire snorkelling equipment from the dive shop in Meeru. If you want to go again and again, go to a dive shop and find a mask that fits perfect, everyone’s face is different (which is a good thing in my case!).

Whatever you choose, you will have fun, the snorkelling out there is unreal.

[/url]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Tartantiara
Thanks Gunnerchris - looked up the mask separately and the mask lenses are tempered glass, so you reckon good value for money - it's about the budget we were looking to spend.

It's not the first time we've snorkeled but the first time we've looked at buying our own gear. Hopefully it won't be the last.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Gunnerchris
It is a good price, so if you are happy with it, go for it and enjoy Very Happy

Chris

[/url]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:04 am Reply with quote
Mark Jones
I bought our kit off ebay and was thoroughly pleased with it. I did go to a local dive shop first to have a look but I got the mask £15 cheaper on ebay.

I dont think you can go far wrong with the silicon mask. The days I wasn't using it for diving, one of the dive staff borrowed it, I think deep down he wanted me to leave it with him when I left.

Unlucky!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:07 pm Reply with quote
BeachLover
Hi tartantiara is this the Reefwear set you've been looking at ? http://www.watersportswarehouse.co.uk/images/product/main/reefwear-travellight-complete_TRAVELLIGHTCOMPLETE_pink.jpg

I've been coveting it, (as its pink! & its a fab price) but don't want to make the mistake of not trying it first Confused

If it is the one & you go for it, please could you let me know what you think?!

Many thanks, BeachLover Very Happy

[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Quinny7
BeachLover wrote:
Hi tartantiara is this the Reefwear set you've been looking at ? http://www.watersportswarehouse.co.uk/images/product/main/reefwear-travellight-complete_TRAVELLIGHTCOMPLETE_pink.jpg

I've been coveting it, (as its pink! & its a fab price) but don't want to make the mistake of not trying it first Confused

I wondered if anyone did buy the above set ? I am in love with it for obvious reasons lol ... If anyone did buy one could you let me know what it is like x

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:27 pm Reply with quote
BeachLover
Quinny7 wrote:
BeachLover wrote:

I wondered if anyone did buy the above set ? I am in love with it for obvious reasons lol ... If anyone did buy one could you let me know what it is like x

Hi Quinny7

I bit the bullet & bought the Reefwear travel light set - pink for me, blue for hubby - haven't yet had a 'proper' try out in water, but the mask fits as well as some of the ones I tried in dive shops & the fins also feel very comfortable Very Happy

Just now need to get to Meeru to use it!

We were really impressed with the company, reasonable P+P and next day delivery!

BeachLover sunny

[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Quinny7
BeachLover wrote:
Quinny7 wrote:
BeachLover wrote:

Hi Quinny7

I bit the bullet & bought the Reefwear travel light set - pink for me, blue for hubby - haven't yet had a 'proper' try out in water, but the mask fits as well as some of the ones I tried in dive shops & the fins also feel very comfortable Very Happy

We were really impressed with the company, reasonable P+P and next day delivery!

BeachLover sunny

Think I may also just bite the bullet and get one .. Is it as nice as it looks ? x

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:39 pm Reply with quote
BeachLover
Quinny7 wrote:
BeachLover wrote:
Quinny7 wrote:
BeachLover wrote:

Hi Quinny7

BeachLover sunny

Think I may also just bite the bullet and get one .. Is it as nice as it looks ? x

We were really pleased with the sets - I guess it's weighing up how often you'd use it to cost - I couldn't justify spending £100+ each for how often we would use it.

In the past we've always hired sets, the horrible thing is not knowing who else has had the snorkel in their mouths!

I'm pretty sure the the company offers a returns guarantee? Worth checking if you're unsure.

Good luck Very Happy

BeachLover sunny

[/url]
Best Snorkeling Set 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Diving and Snorkelling