Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Links » Meeru/Tsunami pics

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Steve from Durham
Site Admin
Pauls couple on this link as well

http://groups.msn.com/MeeruChat/showingdifferencesincedec26.msnw

people ask how did they sort it out so quickly ?... they had 50 maldevian contractors who had just finished the meeru village, so they used them and all timber etc which was left over form the build helped repair the water villas fronts...

having spoken to people on meeru... they were working an average of 20 hr days following dec 26th as you rightly say well done to the hard graft that went on..

steve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Steve from Durham
Site Admin
Paula B

No i didnt stay on Meeru during Tsuanmi...(thank god) but some friends did and they were king enough to send photos of the day.... have you seen the video of the waves from the honeymoon suites ?

there was a link to them on this forum... i will try to find it or if someone knows of it in the mean time please post

steve

spoke at length with Walter Kaufman in March who supplied loads of info with regards to meeru and the dec 26th....... anyone going to meeru if you have the chance talk to either Walter, Rasheed or Ismail with regards to any thing they are so friendly (if a problem however minor ie litter washed up, dirty glasses, FOOD LUKE WARM, tell them,,, how can it be rectified if they dont know about it)
Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Steve from Durham
Site Admin
Paula

in that case the best people to speak to are :-

1. Walter Kaufman who is general manager of meeru and has worked in the far east for over 20 years. 3 years on Meeru

2. Ismail Areef and Mohamed Rasheed (goes by Rasheed) both are in charge of different things on meeru and and are in management positions.

hope this helps

steve Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Sue and Dave
Steve, I used to be able to get onto Meeruchat to look at pics without logging in. Now i seem to need to log in to view them. Is this a deliberate change do you know or is it just me. I have applied to join though so should soon be able to view..................?

Sue

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Sue and Dave
Thanks Glow

I have now registered and will log-in when my teenage daughter allows me some PC time at home!!

Sue

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Jakes
I very curious about the tsunami pics, but the link doesn't work. Can anybody help?

[/url]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Steve from Durham
Site Admin
Jakes wrote:
I very curious about the tsunami pics, but the link doesn't work. Can anybody help?

Hi Jakes

the site which has now changed to another site you mentioned on the forum, the original site was closed down (rightly so) by MSN Shocked and the photos belonged to a number of members...so they went as well

heres a couple

Last edited by Steve from Durham on Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Humble Jim
Amazing pictures Shocked.

Even more extraordinary, I think, is the fact that Meeru was back to 100% guest occupancy just 6 months after that awful day.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Jakes
I've read somewhere that the highest point on the island is about 8 feet above sealevel, how high did the water rise? Was there any casualties? Was the island evacuated before the tsunami came?

[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:25 am Reply with quote
Humble Jim
This forum existed before the event and there was a Trip report by a forum member at the time containing a first hand account. Link to it is below.

http://www.meeru.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=336

No evacuation happened, in hindsight arguably Meeru was a safer place to be. The coral barrier it has on the Indonesia facing side absorbed some of the huge energy delivered by the originating quake.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:53 am Reply with quote
cazzy
Just read the trip report and it fetched a tear to my eye we were on Meedhupuru during the tsunami and looking at the photos Meeru had much more damage and the staff sound like they were fantastic.
Even though it was a very stressful and scary experience we just had to go back to the Maldives again as it is such a wonderful place it took us 3 years and we chose Meeru and we couldn't have made a better choice.

Cazzy
Re: Meeru/Tsunami pics 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Steve from Durham
Site Admin
D.Enush wrote:
.....whateveeeeer. Still, please rewrite your topic post, and THEN maybe Ill check out the link. Also, consider renaming this topic. "Funny Pics"? is quizzical

Sad spammer at work Rolling Eyes I Will delete "its" post but it will be here on quote for others to see, (just in case the some nob complains it was deleted)

cheers

steve
Meeru/Tsunami pics 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Links