Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Diving and Snorkelling » Contact lenses and snorkel masks
Contact lenses and snorkel masks 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:54 am Reply with quote
Dan&Jola
Is wearing contact lenses compatible with snorkelling and sea water? Anyone tried this? Can't decide on whether I need a prescription mask or not. I'm only -1 in each eye but I love to see the world in high definition!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:03 am Reply with quote
AmandaC
Ooooh, good question!

I wear contact lenses, and without them my sight is atrocious.... lol

I wear the all day all night ones, so I put mine in on the 1st and sleep, shower, swim etc etc in them, and change for a new pair on the 1st again (I do give myself a few breaks and wear glasses a couple of times a month)

I only have a cheap mask as I've never snorkelled before, and its likely it will be a long time before I do again.

I am a little nervous about getting water in my eyes as if I do, the lenses I have in really should be changed to stop me getting infection in my eyes. I will be taking 2 spare pairs just in case, but at £25 per pair, its not a cheap 'accident' to make.

I will however, have a go, see how it is, hopefully my mask will hold out, we'll have to see!

xx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:22 am Reply with quote
Pea
I went to my optician a couple of weeks ago for this very reason!

His answer was that whist they cannot recommend going into any body of water wearing contact lenses because of the high risk of infection, it should be OK with daily disposables.

He recommended that I change the disposables once my swimming was done for the day.

I bought a months supply for our fortnight on Meeru - it was only £30.

It may be worth splashing out on some dailys for your hols.

Paula

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:26 am Reply with quote
AmandaC
I'd love to be able to get dailies, but unfortunately, I have astigmatism, so my lenses are made to measure to fit my eyes (bloody awkward I am! Crying or Very sad )

I'm just going to try to be extra extra careful!!
x

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:32 am Reply with quote
Pea
AmandaC wrote:
I'd love to be able to get dailies, but unfortunately, I have astigmatism, so my lenses are made to measure to fit my eyes (bloody awkward I am! Crying or Very sad )

I'm just going to try to be extra extra careful!!
x

When was the last time you tried being fitted for the Dailies, Amanda?

I too have astigmatism and a couple of years ago I was told I couldn't wear them. I went back on the off chance cos the lenses have improved so much and all of a sudden I'm fine with Dailies!!

Might be worth popping into your local Specsaver or wherever just to see.

Good luck!!

Paula

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:37 am Reply with quote
Dan&Jola
Well I only wear daily disposables for sports and nights out, glasses otherwise. Sometimes get showered with contacts in and there is little problem so I think I might proceed with standard mask and utilise the contacts.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:48 am Reply with quote
AlisonD
Hi Guys, I don't wear lenses/glasses myself but my friend Becky who came with us last year snorkeled quite happily with her lenses in with no problems. However, she was quite nervous about losing one or getting eye infections etc and this year has opted for a prescription mask as she felt she couldn't relax properly last year because of worrying about her lenses.

I know everyone is different but if you do decide to go for prescription masks I got one for my OH from www.watersportswarehouse.co.uk and they were hugely helpful.

Alison Very Happy

[/url]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:06 pm Reply with quote
AmandaC
Oh thats great, thanks Paula!

I did call Specsavers last year to see about getting some for when I went to Florida, but, they said it wasn't possible then, I will try them again later today now though! Very Happy

x

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:21 pm Reply with quote
helen m
I have snorkelled and dived with my lenses in with no problems for years.They are lenses I wear daily for a month.Was a bit concerned about mask clearing when diving originally but just keep my eyes tightly shut and never had any issues with them.
Helen

[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:12 pm Reply with quote
HP
Amanda, did you get the OK for the daily disposables?

P

[/url]

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:58 am Reply with quote
bushbaby_de
Terry wore his daily disposables with his cheap speedo mask with no problems whatsoever - apart from his paranoia which made him do the mask up so tightly he had pressure marks for 6 hours after taking it off!!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Aberhonddu
I thought you could get lenses made up for swimming masks - not all opticians do this, but enough of them for you to find one that will. You may have to use a mask provided by them, though.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Aberhonddu
I thought you could get lenses made up for swimming masks - not all opticians do this, but enough of them for you to find one that will. You may have to use a mask provided by them, though.
Contact Lenses 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:00 pm Reply with quote
princesslala
AmandaC wrote:
Oh thats great, thanks Paula!

I did call Specsavers last year to see about getting some for when I went to Florida, but, they said it wasn't possible then, I will try them again later today now though! Very Happy

x

Hi,

I went snorkelling last year in Hawaii and the tour provided prescription masks. When I returned home, I went to Specsavers, and they had a mask made up for me, with my own presciption. The actual presciption lense is removable, so if your prescription changes, you only need a new insert. Quite neat really. They cost 39.99 and take a couple of weeks or so to make.
It was well worth it in my opinion, for future trips.
Contact lenses and snorkel masks 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Diving and Snorkelling