Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » General Meeru Discussion » any one just got back or still travelling in Jan 2005
any one just got back or still travelling in Jan 2005 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:12 am Reply with quote
Steve from Durham
Site Admin
Hi

considering the e mails i have posted on update on meeru sales and marketing with regards to the island still operating as normal....

has any one just got back and can update with what the damage is like now ?

also is anyone still travelling to meeru this January ?

a lot of conflicting reports from the staff on meeru to people both on this and my site

cherrs

steve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:30 am Reply with quote
isabel
Hi Steve, we are suppposed to go there the 30th of january. However we have lost friends in Thailand, we have two children at home, what will happen if there will be more quakes.
We would like to go there, just not now. We have tried to cancel with Meeru, they have not confirmed anyhting yet. I think it would feel strange to go there and see the damage and me reminded everday during the stay that something has happened. Maybe if they put us at a sisterisland that has not been affected. I really don´t know yet what we will do. And at the same time, our holidayproblems doesn´t meen anything if you think of all the people that has ben affected.
Sorry for my english.

Isabel
Sweden

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:40 am Reply with quote
Steve from Durham
Site Admin
i have asked meeru to confirm some details regarding damage and repairs etc.... thay state that they are getting there food from Columbo (sri lanker) and Dubai.... and they have 30 days food and what about the next 30 days

we havent made a firm decision yet as we dont know what to do for the best......

steve
Meeru Post Tsunami 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Alex & Andrea
Steve,
Many Thanks for your DVD/VCD, have returned it to Europeans who can play it, did so before the Waves hit. Firstly, our thoughts go out to those who have suffered, lost or who are still in need of assistance.
Have unfortunately decided to cancel our 'once in a lifetime' Holiday to Meeru, due to a few factors.
a. The information coming from Meeru and the Maldivian Government conflicted horribly with what we were hearing from people on the ground(Front of House Manager on Medhufushi is a family Friend)
b. The images of the damage on Meeru, the Maldives and the rest of the Indian Archipelago were enough to make us cry through sadness for the thousands who have lost and will continue to lose, and our trip would have no direct impact to assist these poor people.
c. If the food for Meeru is coming from Sri Lanka, would it not be better if the food was diverted to those really in need?
We wish we could have holidayed in a happier time for all, but we must remember those most affected and do what we can, in way of direct financial assistance through proper charitable organisations to acheive the best result for those most in need.
We wish all in the Maldives and all travelling to the Islands a safe New Year.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:49 am Reply with quote
diane
Hi to everyone who returned back home safely. My daughter and I came back on 28th December, along with others who decided to cut holidays by a week. Can I just say that Christmas eve on meeru was great, father christmas arrived by speed boat for the kids and all the lights where turned on. It looked beautiful. We where in standard room 320 and if I am not mistaken this side of the island took the worst battering. We where just getting up when the first wave hit us and I can honestly say it was the most terrifying thing I have ever been through. The water came pouring into the room. The island itself afterwards was in such a state it was awful to see, but I am sure the staff will all pull together to get it looking beautiful once more. All the staff where truely amazing and I can only send them my best wishes and heartfelt thanks, they looked after us all without a thought to there own families.

On another point I would like to say if you have booked to go and Meeru is open, please do go - they rely on the tourist industry so much

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Mark
I totally agree with Dianes last comment. I also believe that as soon as we get back to 'normal' the better. The staff looking after us at these resorts need to be in employment to be paid (and tipped), no tourists = no staff = no pay.
It must be awful for them all living so far from their 'home' islands but I am sure they will appreciate any tourists going to stay on Meeru despite this catastrophe.
I know the Turks were greatly appreciative of tourists during the Gulf war as many cried off because of potential danger, and having visited the Maldives, I feel sure they will have the same attitude.
And to get things back on an even keel....a dozen of my colleagues are on standby to go to Thailand to assist ID the bodies and I am also at readiness to go if required. We all do our bit where we can!
comment on meeruisland.co.uk 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Steve from Durham
Site Admin
Mark

i see some one has put a post on meeruisland in relation to the above !!

steve
APOLOGY 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Mark
It was not my intention to offend anyone in my statement above. I have read the messages on the other site and on the strength of the comments I have obviously unintentionally upset a few people. It was not my intention to do so. I am naive in thinking that the Turkish people were known as Turks, my mistake and I unreservedly apologise if I am wrong ...I am still learning! I have many long standing good friends in Turkey and would not dream of saying anything upsetting or offensive to them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:02 pm Reply with quote
MaryKaplan
A minor blog is produced for the division of the goals for humans. The shade of the jump and assignment help service is ensured for the terms. The path is fit for the holding of the line for the hides. Element is fit for the global items and all products for the teamwork for the suggestions for the citizens.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:50 am Reply with quote
willamvriley
While exploring the Maldives in a short period of time, I was able to spend a day at Meeru Island Resort & Spa and obtained a sample of the islands properties. Source: coursework writing help online by UK Writing Experts.
shzz 
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:08 am Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
mrseo
many thanks
any one just got back or still travelling in Jan 2005 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » General Meeru Discussion
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum