Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » General Meeru Discussion » Downgrades
Downgrades 
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:46 pm Reply with quote
chrisdawson
Just returned from our fourth trip to Meeru and we had a wonderful holiday. The island was as good as ever however ...

BEWARE of the downgrades! This was the second time we have arrived and beendowngraded due to the island being overbooked. I'd like to say we have been the unlucky few but it appeared to be happening to a lot of guests. Everyone who arrived with us was downgraded (except a very lucky couple who had booked the honeymoon suite!) Even a couple on their honeymoon who had booked a jacuzzi water villa. As compensation, we received a bottle of wine, fruit, a beach dinner and $95 per night credit to our account (considerably less than we paid for the upgrade!). We were downgraded to a beach villa from a jacuzzi beach villa for 2 nights. It wasn't the end of the world but we were very disappointed especially as it appened the last time we arrived. They try to get round the overbooking problem by pushing 2 or 3 night cruises and trips to other islands. After 30 hours traveling, when we were offered this option for 2 nights it was the last thing we wnated to do. According to our rep there is nothing they can do, the maldives government allow the islands to overbook by 10% so on busy, popular islands like meeru it is a problem. We emailed the island 3 times before we went as we wanted a 600's villa if available, so emailing before does not make any difference.
Other than this we did have a great holiday but it is a shame this is happening to so many guests.
Re: Downgrades 
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Ganymede
chrisdawson wrote:
Just returned from our fourth trip to Meeru and we had a wonderful holiday. The island was as good as ever however ...

BEWARE of the downgrades! This was the second time we have arrived and beendowngraded due to the island being overbooked. I'd like to say we have been the unlucky few but it appeared to be happening to a lot of guests. Everyone who arrived with us was downgraded (except a very lucky couple who had booked the honeymoon suite!) Even a couple on their honeymoon who had booked a jacuzzi water villa. As compensation, we received a bottle of wine, fruit, a beach dinner and $95 per night credit to our account (considerably less than we paid for the upgrade!). We were downgraded to a beach villa from a jacuzzi beach villa for 2 nights. It wasn't the end of the world but we were very disappointed especially as it appened the last time we arrived. They try to get round the overbooking problem by pushing 2 or 3 night cruises and trips to other islands. After 30 hours traveling, when we were offered this option for 2 nights it was the last thing we wnated to do. According to our rep there is nothing they can do, the maldives government allow the islands to overbook by 10% so on busy, popular islands like meeru it is a problem. We emailed the island 3 times before we went as we wanted a 600's villa if available, so emailing before does not make any difference.
Other than this we did have a great holiday but it is a shame this is happening to so many guests.

Did they still allow you to eat in the Malaan?

[/url]

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:29 am Reply with quote
chrisdawson
Hi

After e mailing 3 times asking if we could have a 600's jacuzzi beach villa, we were allocated a 200's jacuzzi beach villa. So when they told us about the downgrade we asked for a 600's villa and to eat in the Maalan restaurant which they finally agreed to.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:01 am Reply with quote
Mark Jones
Do the 200's have jacuzzis now?

I thought it was just the 100's, 600's and some of the 500's that had them.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:40 am Reply with quote
Loretta & Andrew
I believe that a typo was made regarding the 200 "jacuzzi" beach villa, Chris was downgraded to the 200's from a JBV initially and asked for a 600 and the Malaan as part of their compo.
It is worrying that this has raised it's ugly head again, we had not heard too much about downgrades recently but it is appearing more and more.
We are due to visit for our second time next month, our previous visit seen us downgraded for a night from JWV to WV. That was November 07 when there were issues with the new island not being ready etc
This visit we are have booked for a JBV and hope to get that for the full duration, we are also taking good friends this trip for a week of our holiday and I would be disappointed if they got downgraded after me recommending the island so highly!
We will just have to wait and see - I am still thoroughly looking forward to my trip - June looks to be a busy month with forum members!
Look out for the sparkly flip flop on the table!!

Best regards to all
Loretta

[/url]

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:27 pm Reply with quote
chrisdawson
I was a bit annoyed that after 20+ hrs of travelling they wanted us to gon a 3 day boat trip within 1 hour of arriving on the island and we had to depart within the hour !!!!
The Hayes and Jarvis rep was not much use to be honest it was basically this is what happens like it or leave it. We were thinking of going back next year and recommending Meeru to friends but i would also hate to see them downgraded as well

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:30 pm Reply with quote
shivbrown
I really think they need to get thos sorted its awfull! these boat trips sound great but to honest after flying for ages all i would want is to get in to ed and relax.

I have geard the boat is not good if youdont like fish x

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:43 pm Reply with quote
chrisdawson
I cant really comment on the boat trip as we have not done one. The reps really need to sort this out and work with the island. People are paying good money for these rooms and dont want to be downgraded

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:16 am Reply with quote
Steve from Durham
Site Admin
shivbrown wrote:

I have geard the boat is not good if youdont like fish x

I take it you didnt go on the boat ? and heard this bit of info from someone else....for others take a look at the stickie about the boat trip and the piccies of the food, on the Kaggie Island meal we had 22 items of which 3 where fish based (1 was actually prawns)

The have the same food for every trip

Just thought it might be a good idea to clear up this little miss understanding...

steve

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:32 am Reply with quote
Jeanette
Steve

After yours and other reviews on the boat trip, I hope we get the option this time, it looked great Smile

Last time we signed up and it got cancelled Sad

In fact I don't think I've read a bad review about it Confused

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:52 am Reply with quote
Mark Jones
We were gutted when the trip got canceled, we were really looking forward to it. I think we would have had a good time Jeanette, it was a good crowd.

As for just being fish, sorry shiv but that isn't true. The food on the cruise is excellent and very varied. I am not sure we would like to get off the plane and straight onto the cruise mind but I think we would be tempted, maybe just a little.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:02 am Reply with quote
Kev'n'Katy
Does the overbooking happen all year round, or does it generally happen over certain months?
I hope they offer the cruise when we're over there, it sounds fab!

Katy

[/url]

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:23 am Reply with quote
Humble Jim
Kev'n'Katy wrote:
Does the overbooking happen all year round, or does it generally happen over certain months?

Interesting one. Up to three boats are used. Not all three are used at once except at very busy times. Sometimes just one is running, sometimes none are. It's best to assume the option will not be there when you are, but if it is then it's a bonus...

Kev'n'Katy wrote:
I hope they offer the cruise when we're over there, it sounds fab!

Katy

It is certainly is fab...and I hope you get the opportunity to enjoy it yourselves Cool.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Baconbutty
We are off on 1st June!!
I have mentioned the possibility of a boat trip to the sausage sandwich, just to pave the way, and get him used to the idea!!
I agree it sounds like a fantastic oppurtunity, and would love to experience it, however, a couple of days relaxing, after so long travelling is, in my opinion, a necessity!!!
I would not be very impressed if we had to go within an hour of arriving.
The other half would do his fruit!!!!!

Louise

[/url]

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:41 pm Reply with quote
LizG
We did the trip when we were there inj oct last year. Was just incredible, the experience of sleeping on the indian ocean under the stars. I also got up at 5.30 to go fishing with the 'masters'. having never fished before in my life I loved it! Was 'hooked' Laughing then went night fishing another 4 times when got back Razz

Everything from the company, food, staff on board, Kagi isnald bbq, snorkling, you name it was excellent. If we were not taking the in laws out this time I might consider doing it again but as they are a bit elderly I think they would struggle getting on and off the boat so maybe on our 3rd visit again Cool

We were on the kamana ship, found it very spacious and comfortable. We were evening diving off the top of it into the ocean, never seen a group of folk swim so fast for the fear of what lurkes beneath Laughing

[/url]
Downgrades 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » General Meeru Discussion
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum