Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » General Meeru Discussion » What's happening with the Weather? Goto page 1, 2  Next
What's happening with the Weather? 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:51 am Reply with quote
Lillie
I've just seen the photos that 'justgotback' has posted.

I'm going in 2 weeks time and the thought of spending my 2 week holiday in the maldives 'in rain' is starting to worry me!

If anyone who comes back and can reassure us that the sun is shining on Meeru - please post a message and let us know..

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Humble Jim
Panicketh not !

If you want to get any sort of idea about how the weather is around Christmas, or if it could be in anyway a problem, I strongly recommend you have a look at some historical Trip Reports (a useful asset often overlooked).

The link below points to the page that has Trip reports from the last half of 2005 and into January 2006.

http://www.meeru.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=1&topicdays=0&start=100

You'll find little mention of the weather at all - a good sign.

It will almost certainly rain while you are there (it's the tropics Wink ) but it will be mostly brief short powerful bursts lasting minutes that you will get around Christmas time. Occasionally you might witness a longer spell but my advice is that if you're considering any sort of excursion is to ask a couple of staff members prior to booking about forthcoming weather.

Odds are you are going to get completely Sun drenched, indeed there will be times that you will have to hide from the glare Cool .

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Lillie
Thanks Humble Jim

We've been there before at the end of December and had a wonderful 2 weeks so seeing those recent photos of meeru looking completely flooded did start us panicking a bit.

I will keep my fingers crossed for the sunshine!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Haggis slayer
We were on Meeru from 21/11/06 to 05/12/06. (Hoping to post trip report once I've done the Christmas shopping!) The weather was mixed compared to the same time last year when we hardly had any rain at all. There were 2 days that were a complete wash out and a few cloudy days but also a few really hot days. Dont be deceived when it is cloudy you can still burn. Our waiter said that the weather has been unusually wet in the last few months and this is the case through out the Indian Ocean. Although the weather wasnt perfect it didnt spoil our holiday in any way. The thing to remember is that it is still better than being at home and at least the rain is warm! Even when it was raining everyone is really relaxed and determind to make the best of it. It is also worth remembering that the weather can change very quickly. There were a few days it was raining when we went for breakfast but we came out to brilliant sunshine. Enjoy your holiday, if you've been there before you know how wonderful it is.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:57 pm Reply with quote
lewi
Hi Lillie
Going there on Monday - & Jim's words have cheered us up tremendously.
Can't wait for the break
I have to admit this site has given me the most fantastic & subjective view of any holiday site I've seen. A wonderful skill of web design & management - well done & many thanks Smile
John & Pat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:20 pm Reply with quote
anne.gannon@hotmail.co.uk
lewi wrote:
Hi Lillie
Going there on Monday - & Jim's words have cheered us up tremendously.
Can't wait for the break
I have to admit this site has given me the most fantastic & subjective view of any holiday site I've seen. A wonderful skill of web design & management - well done & many thanks Smile
John & Pat

I second that !!! have a great holiday and a Merry Christmas

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:39 am Reply with quote
Chas & Maxi
The recent weather reports have really put me off going in November which is what I was planning for 2007 to celebrate my wife turning 40. November is meant to be the start of their dry season, but global warming has other ideas.

The last time I went was March 2006 where we only had 1 hour of rain in the week we were there.

The thought of spending nearly £5000 to be washed out by bad weather for up to 3 days scares the hell out of me. I am thinking of rescheduling to March 2008 now.

Jim, how lucky you are ..... the Maldives obviously knew you were coming.
"Humble Jim" is coming to Meeru, so 'rain' can have a couple of weeks off.

Trips Reports
Kuramathi - http://www.meeru.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8512&highlight=
Meeru/Bandos - http://www.meeru.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5622&highlight=

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:36 am Reply with quote
Humble Jim
Laughing . We'll see how this theory pans out next Feb...in theory in should be dry then anyhow.

The weather has been odd this year, the staff haven't seen anything like it and since 2000 I personally haven't either. First two weeks of October was weird, drier than any trip I've made in any season. But the preceding weeks had awful stuff due to a cyclone. Not a cyclone directly hitting the Maldives but the mighty tail of one that went on to wreak havoc in Thailand.

Still plenty of wet stuff knocking about if you look at the link below, but hopefully with a northern prevailing wind taking over the cloudy stuff will be being pushed south.

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/tropic/real-time/indian/images/xxirmet5n.GIF

Look carefully and you'll see that the Maldives is already looking roughly clear/clearing at this scale. The current local forecast for Male is for some showers (which is completely normal).

http://www.meteorology.gov.mv/

If going to Meeru right now I would be highly optimistic about the weather Cool .

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Lillie
Thanks Humble Jim, its always nice to read your posts as they're always so positive.

Not long now - only 5 days to go...!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:35 pm Reply with quote
chrisdawson
Hi

We have just come back from Meeru on the 13th Dec. We went for 2 weeks and on the first week we had 4 days solid torrential rain. It was about 1 foot deep in places on the island which was completely flooded.
The last 9 days were excellent 30-40 degrees with the odd bit rain through the night. The staff said that they have never seen weather like it in December.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:35 pm Reply with quote
chrisdawson
Hi

We have just come back from Meeru on the 13th Dec. We went for 2 weeks and on the first week we had 4 days solid torrential rain. It was about 1 foot deep in places on the island which was completely flooded.
The last 9 days were excellent 30-40 degrees with the odd bit rain through the night. The staff said that they have never seen weather like it in December.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:33 pm Reply with quote
maggie
Hi all

we went last year from the 14th Dec through till the 28th Dec........apart from one overnight bit of rain...it was wall to wall sun all of the way.....

there is definitely unusually a lot more rain falling throughout the world at the moment.....we also went under water in floods in Mexico..unusual weather for them also..

You are definitely at this time of year in the dry season........so go and enjoy...and if it does rain........get pally as we did with some good fun people and have a great time

all the best for a wonderful xmas on Meeru...they certainly know how to make xmas very special in deed

merry christmas

maggie Wink

[/url]

bear with me as I am blonde,and am awaiting next vacation
[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:46 am Reply with quote
lewi
Hi Guys
Sad as I may be - I'm sending this from my 'villa' - one of the new JWVs (700s)!
Anyway - arrived last night to find this breathlessly stunning place that we're staying in for the next ten days - fabulous!
Yea, the one downer is the rain. Only light at the moment - but the rest of the place makes up for it.
Just ploughed thru the huge breakfast - delivered to our room (5US$!!!!)
Cya
John & Pat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:38 am Reply with quote
maggie
lewi wrote:
Hi Guys
Sad as I may be - I'm sending this from my 'villa' - one of the new JWVs (700s)!
Anyway - arrived last night to find this breathlessly stunning place that we're staying in for the next ten days - fabulous!
Yea, the one downer is the rain. Only light at the moment - but the rest of the place makes up for it.
Just ploughed thru the huge breakfast - delivered to our room (5US$!!!!)
Cya
John & Pat

merry christmas to you both

any chance of a "beam me up Scotty"?

maggie Wink

[/url]

bear with me as I am blonde,and am awaiting next vacation
[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:40 am Reply with quote
surfinsandie
Hi John & Pat,

Wow - you lucky things Very Happy

Have a fantastic holiday. Merry Christmas to you both, have a wonderful time.

Regards

Sandie

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum